Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Riding tips that have helped the most.
  • swingbing
    Free Member

1) What tip has helped your riding the most? (or helped your riding most recently?)

2) How do you think it has affected your riding?

For me it has to be:

1) Look well ahead!

2) Less susceptibility to ‘micro managing’ the trail, better line choice, improved weight distribution through better body position.

maxtorque

Don’t ride into trees.

helps me by not riding in to trees………

dday

+1 for maxtorque.

Blind jumps into big holes at night. Its just not clever.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Have fun. If you’re worrying about all that bollocks, you’re not having fun.

Duane…
    Free Member

Ride more.

chvck
    Free Member

Aye I tried to follow that the first time that I broke myself, sadly I did it again and broke myself again

yunki
    Free Member

1. stay relaxed
    2. just keep turning the pedals

dday

Two words: The Jedi.

rocketman
    Free Member

Heavy feet light hands!

spawnofyorkshire

Lower your seatpost, drop your heals lower, look further down the trail.

Much more confidence and feel more planted on the trail. Getting my body position better has helped with having to deal with vertigo whilst mountain biking!

Garry_Lager

Looking round the corner, where you want to go, has to be the single biggest difference maker. Normally something you learn as a beginner though.

Stay loose and relaxed on the DH, whilst still keeping a decent grip on the bars / pedals is a good tip, but I’ve never heard it put in a way that helps me do this. Like a really pithy phrase or visualisation technique that can resolve the paradox.

K

Eating is cheating.

woody2000

“Just ride it ya chuffing nancy” repeated ad nauseum to oneself seems to have helped me 🙂

titusrider
    Free Member

Capital D arms and outside foot down

Rail those corners 🙂

yoshimi

Turn with your hips not your shoulders

jekkyl

Stay off the front brake, almost forget you have one.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

“Turn left at the tree”

reidy
    Free Member

If your not falling off your not going fast enough???

coolhandluke
    Free Member

If you see something scary on the trail, like a big massive rock, don’t look at it or you will ride into it.

You only crash when you are on the brakes so, don’t brake.

ac282

look around the tree not at it.

Northwind

Relax is the best advice, but also the most useless because if you’re tensed up being told to relax doesn’t work :mrgreen:

Dropping wrists for techy/steep climbing’s a nice non-obvious one, not sure I’d have worked that out myself.

Drac

Enjoy it.

Paceman
    Free Member

Looking well ahead, especially round corners, heavy feet and loose hands, and above all else… relax and have fun 😀

Turn with your hips not your shoulders

+ trying to master this but old habits are hard to break i’m finding 😐

svalgis
    Free Member

Stay off the front brake, almost forget you have one.

Don’t you like to decelerate when you brake?

kayak23

Stamp the outside of the corner (meaning put your bodyweight through that pedal)

mattrgee
    Free Member

Heavy feet light hands!

Anyone notice how the skills section in this months MBR goes against this? Suggests equal pressure at both contact points and straighter legs.

Paceman
    Free Member

Heavy feet light hands!

This comes from the Brian Lopez book “Mastering Mountain Bike Skills”. An excellent read (much better than MBR anyway) 😉

billyblackheart
    Free Member

Increased cadence and doing uphill Intervals.

drain

Brake in a straight line.

Heels down.

ndthornton
    Free Member

If the handle bars are behind you then your’e sat the wrong way around

swingbing
    Free Member

I’m unsure about the ‘drop your outside foot during cornering’ technique being thrown about by the likes of IMB. Riding a hardtail this can make for a very bumpy ride. I’ve gave it a good go for several rides but I honestly don’t think it works too well for me.

Right now I just concentrate on ‘staying low and loose’ and that seems to set me up great for whipping round corners with aplomb 😀

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Braking causes most crashes

Northwind

swingbing – Member

I’m unsure about the ‘drop your outside foot during cornering’ technique being thrown about by the likes of IMB. Riding a hardtail this can make for a very bumpy ride.

Your foot/ankle isn’t the best shock absorber- if you find dropping it causes things to get bumpy you’re probably a bit stiff in the knee?

missnotax
    Free Member

Look ahead and don’t focus on stuff or you’ll ride into it.

Wise words…. 8)

supertacky
    Free Member

Elbows up. Hands loose. Weight outside pedal. Look ahead. lean bike .Steer with hips no with rapid hands.
    Pump all downslopes for free speed. Ride light and fast on roots.
    Brake very hard in a straight line then get off the brakes as much as possible.

Its all going on in my head…..

haha

swingbing
    Free Member

Northwind,

Your foot/ankle isn’t the best shock absorber- if you find dropping it causes things to get bumpy you’re probably a bit stiff in the knee?

You may well be right. Maybe I need to do some squat or something though because to take out all the bumps with most of my weight on one leg just gets too much all too quickly!

skaifan
    Free Member

Stay upright

funkrodent

I’ve found that renouncing my front brake whilst negotiating steep, technical downhill sections has significantly reduced the instances of unwanted head/trail interface.. 😀

richmtb

Chin up, heels down.

mooman
    Free Member

Keep fingers off brakes.

Most accidents I have seen have involved people panicking and pulling a handful of brake.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Riding tips that have helped the most.’ is closed to new replies.