Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Riding the West Highland Way – North or South?
  • higgo
    Free Member

Some mates are planning to ride the WHW there and back.

I'm a bit pushed for time but thinking of joining them on one leg – which way is the best riding?

druidh
    Free Member

Go north. Who would would to end a ride in Glasgow?

allyharp

I've done it in both directions and I think it felt easier heading South.

When heading North the worst part of the whole trip was the huge steep hill out of Kinlochleven on the way to Fort William. Going South of course this is a descent, and the ascent out of Fort William is more gradual and much more rideable.

You also have the added benefit of heading into all the walkers so don't need to constantly ask them to pass.

BUT I'd agree with druidh (partially) – it's a much nicer feeling to head North and finish in the nicer surroundings.

Waderider
    Free Member

Part of me knows this might not be well received – a lot of it isn't worth riding.

Or put another way, you'll only ride it once (at least I did).

Or put yet another way, pick any of the umpteen known long Highland loops out there and you'll have a more fulfilling experience.

Opinion. Not fact.

Northwind

Haven't done it but I intend to next year (or maybe even later this year) and it'll definately be south to north, even if it's easier and better the other way I want to end the trip at fort william and celebrate if my legs allow with a play at nevis range, then a train ride home (the train out of fort william is fantastic). It just feels right.

higgo
    Free Member

Or put yet another way, pick any of the umpteen known long Highland loops out there and you'll have a more fulfilling experience.

Opinion. Not fact.

You're probably right. A couple of years ago we did Blair Atholl – Loch Morlich – Braemar – Blair Atholl and, if it were left to me, I'd have done something similar but one of the chaps has wanted to do this for years.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Who would would to end a ride in Glasgow?

The WHW comes out in Milngavie between Costa Coffee and Greggs. I think that's quite a good way to end a ride.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The northern half is a good ride IMO, say from Victoria Bridge.

BoardinBob

And since when was milngavie Glasgow?

cupra
    Free Member

Milngavie has always been glasgow to me 😆

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Something about leaving the Highlands and heading TOWARDS urban sprawl that is just so wrong as an mtb adventure. South / North.

Milngavie is most definately outside the city boundary btw.

13thfloormonk

I like the feeling south to north, feels like the ride is slowly building to a crescendo, starting with the gentle flat stuff through the farmlands and 'city limits' and gradually getting rougher and steeper.

Having done a lot of stuff in the highlands now, I would agree that there is better riding, but not that there is a better single A-B 150km route with the same contrasts in history, scenery and riding, plus I haven't actually ridden many descents more enjoyable than some of those on the way.

I think I enjoy it for the same reasons I enjoy the road bike, a real feeling of 'going somewhere' which is a bit different from the usual riding around in circles 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Riding the West Highland Way – North or South?’ is closed to new replies.