Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • riding the welsh ride thing on a cyclo cross bike? bad idea
  • gazerath
    Free Member

Just trying to decide to ride on cross bike or giant anthem.

Am I mad for been drawn to the cross bike more?

Chew
    Free Member

Either really, it’ll depend on your route choice and how comfortable you want to be.

Cross bike would work reasonably well, it just depends on what your expectations are?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

It will be a long uncomfortable ride of a CX bike when they are made for 2 hour loop around a field races.

nostoc
    Free Member

Have you ridden it offroad and loaded before?

tony24
    Free Member

Where ya planning to ride in Wales?

gazerath
    Free Member

Allo

The route is mostly going to be bridle paths and roads, going to try and avoid hard single track mtb stuff if possible.

I haven’t road my dedicated cross bike loaded up but have ridden my kaffenback as a tourer the whole length of Wales but that was on road.

The only other option I have is my anthem but I don’t like the idea of rear sus bouncing under weight, trying to make kit taken as light as possible but it’s still going to weigh a fair bit.

gazerath
    Free Member

Have considered been a cheat and dropping supplies at different points so I can save some weight when riding.

scandalous
    Free Member

defo against the rules! you have to carry everything you need – that’s the whole idea!

gutted to be missing it this year. it will be ace.

gazerath
    Free Member

Nah we will carry all our kit, it was just tempting. Really looking forward to it, trying to upgrade all my sleeping kit to the lightest possible

nostoc
    Free Member

The problem is that the weight carrying offroad is untested. There is scope for going ultraultralight – bothies, shops, cafes, so you should be ok. I believe there are no real rules for WRT.

dknwhy

Do you have local knowledge of the bridleways? Some of them may be a little trickier than you think and some may not even really exist…..

scandalous
    Free Member

there are loads of non-existent bridleways. and even the ones that do exist seem to bugger off at night (when its blowing a gale and you are wet and you have a huge hill to get over and down and great bog to wade through / negotiate before you can even think of stopping!)

best fun you can have with your trousers on – FACT!

johnnystorm

Rules? This is WRT, not BB200!

“defo against the rules! you have to carry everything you need – that’s the whole idea!
    gutted to be missing it this year. it will be ace.”

gazerath
    Free Member

Do you have local knowledge of the bridleways?

Nooooooooooooo we have three OS maps, a pen and some cordinates of where to head to roughly and a slightly over inflated enthusiasm of we are going to suffer but it’ll be great fun, well when we look back 😀

Scandalous – Can’t wait, going to kit my bike out on Wednesday and give it a test ride.

Chew
    Free Member

With this years GR’s cyclocross should be fine in the most part

Used mine on a trip in the Peak. Front harness and seatpack and a small backpack will be fine. I might have been temped this year, but using the event as a test before this summers big trip.

blastit
    Free Member

you’ll be fine
    what’s the worse than can happen ? 😆

gazerath
    Free Member

What tyres you using chew? Looks ace

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘riding the welsh ride thing on a cyclo cross bike? bad idea’ is closed to new replies.