Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Riding technique help please?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Just returned from our annual Alps trip, excellent time as usual but as always I struggled on some aspects of the terrain…

Predominantly, anything involving riding over slow rocks, usually in steep tech sections, pedal catching situations etc I just don’t appear to spot a line.

Any advice?

Candodavid
    Free Member

Find somewhere you can ride similar and do it lots, push the envelope out of comfort zones, you’ll soon feel gradually more at homework, we have lots of technical rock sections I can put together on Mendip, handy to practice on pre Lakes trips or Spain

nickc

I find screaming, closing my eyes, and shouting “mummy” always makes the bad rocks go away.

That will be £50.00 please….

mikey74
    Free Member

Descending or climbing? Either way, practice front wheel lifts, changing weight distribution and timing your pedal strokes to coincide with when you need the power and to clear rocks. That way, spotting lines becomes less of an issue. I seem to remember a guide on holiday once saying there is no such thing as poor line choice, just poor technique.

This can be done anywhere you have steps, high kerbs, low walls etc. The pedal thing may not always involve full pedal turns as ratcheting may sometimes be necessary to time your pedal stroke accordingly.

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

Also work on pumping – pushing the bike down into the ground through your feet. Weighting the bike like that helps it find more traction and builds speed without needing to pedal.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In the slow stuff there is generally a few things going on.
    1) Not being comfortable at low speed/balance – work on track standing etc
    2) Pedal strike – work on moving the bike without the pedals, you can get the bike going enough at times with out pedaling.
    3) Line – get off and look at it, roll the bike through it, look for places you are going to get the wheels stuck/stopped & either avoid of lift through. Watch other people and practice more!

tom.nash
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Riding technique help please?’ is closed to new replies.