Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Riding Superstitions and Pre-ride Rituals
  • theprancinghorse
    Free Member

I personally don’t really have any except possibly always getting on the bike from the left – that just feels right.

Rode with a guy last week that tells me he has to put his right shoe on first followed by left shoe and then left glove followed by right glove, he also does some weird magpie saluting thing and shouts “captain” or something at them. All seems strange to me, do any of you guys do this or have someone in your group who does weird stuff like this?

thegreatape
    Free Member

A dump, obviously, but not sure if that counts. I also always get on from the left, but have a knackered back and if I try and get on from right I kick the bike over and fall down. I don’t know why.

yunki
    Free Member

It’s unlucky to be superstitious.. and backwards

Now let that be a lesson to you

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RaveyDavey
    Free Member

My boss does that magpie thing and I mean every time he passes one! Thought he was winding me up at first but now come to realise his life is consumed by OCD I feel sorry for him but the magpie thing is just plain nuts.

_tom_
    Free Member

My mate does the magpie thing as well, weird. I dont have any pre ride rituals other than try to have a dump beforehand to save precious weight.

jota180
    Free Member

I always, without fail, get my bike out from the garage before every ride.
    I can’t seem to break the habit

theprancinghorse
    Free Member

So the magpie thing is a real thing? I thought it was just this guy, he says something about captain and wife and family EVERY time, would hate to do a car journey with the guy.

superdan

I always, without fail, get my bike out from the garage before every ride.
    I can’t seem to break the habit

I used to, then I had ACL surgery and spent a lot of time on a turbo trainer.

imnotverygood

if I try and get on from right I kick the bike over and fall down. I don’t know why.

I have exactly the same problem. It is quite literally impossible for me to get on from the right hand side. TBH, given the amount of bike riding I do it is a bit embarrassing.

jota180
    Free Member

he says something about captain and wife and family EVERY time, would hate to do a car journey with the guy.

I believe it’s only for the first one of the day – noisy, verminous creatures

bentiggerwyles
    Free Member

I wouldn’t ride in a new helmet without dropping it first! Came from motocross days lots of people have that superstition.
    I belive lots of pro riders Freshly painted custom troy Lee helmets chipped on the floor or back of truck before riding!

tang
    Free Member

When I worked on the bins the first cuppa of the day went on the wagons wheels. I met a roadie who did the same; first swig went to the bike.
    My only ritual, without fail, is faffing about with something or other.

noteeth
    Free Member

About halfway round my usual loop of the woods, there’s an old tree stump that I always reach out & tap as I ride past.

I have to do it. 😳

Suggsey
    Free Member

Playing rugby I wore the same tie ups for my socks for twenty odd years!
    Only ritual on the bike is to mount from the left unless I’m in danger of falling down the hillside. Caused purely and simply by a very stiff hip courtesy of propping in rugby 😆

flap_jack
    Free Member

I try and put my bike in the sun for half an hour before the ride to cheer it up. Always seems to ride faster.

theprancinghorse
    Free Member

There is some strange stuff there, never heard of the tea thing before but really like the idea of leaving the bike in the sun to cheer it up 🙂

derek_starship
    Free Member

I would never ride with an inside out sock. I check a few times.

rossatease
    Free Member

Lucky Socks, never ride a green bike, never drink beer before the ride especially since that Jedi destroyed my birthday bike ride by making me, helmet, can’t ride off road without it, yet don’t bother on roads, don’t ask.

muddyground
    Free Member

Keep to the same ritual here. Get bike out, bike needs a bit of work – oiling the chain, pumping tyres up. Get all sweaty and slightly frustrated doing that. Then run around the house like a headless chicken looking for my gloves, helmet, jacket, ‘phone, tools, bag etc., etc., etc..

Start ride all stressed out wearing odd socks.

Works for me every time.

jekkyl

At some point on the ride I like to put my hand out and swipe at some leaves hanging into the road, like a high 5 for Mother Nature.

olddog

Then run around the house like a headless chicken looking for my gloves, helmet, jacket, ‘phone, tools, bag etc., etc., etc..

This – but usually after I’ve been standing around tutting impatiently as Mrs OD fiddles with her bike.

jedi

lol@ rossatease

teasel
    Free Member

I always ensure the old chap is sitting to the left else I’ll suffer from the nauseating ball pop on every upstroke of the right leg. An essential gesture rather the a ritualistic fumble, however.

My OCD ritual thing – never ride into town without necking a hard-boiled strawberry flavoured sweet. MTB is fine as is heading out on the back roads but shopping forays require the addition of a particular confectionery…

rocketman
    Free Member

Rituals & superstitions? hmmm lemme think…

err no

fuzzhead
    Free Member

I always put my left shoe on first. I tried doing my right shoe first but it felt weird.

hooli

Left glove goes on first, this is the same for cycling, motorbikes, cricket or just walking home from the pub in the winter.

Speshpaul

Lucky litter, got to pick up some litter on a ride.
    Always run round the local stone circle first ride of the year (ish)

dday

Does the obligatory 4 or 5 bunny hops prior to setting off (that we ALL do) count as a ritual?

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Since one of my brake cables popped out of the reservoir at the end of my driveway I always, always, check the brakes in the garage before rolling down the hill into oncoming traffic … again.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Always clean my teeth – you figure 😐

jairaj

If doing DH or at a bike park. I never say “this is the last run”. I’ve done that a few times and then binned it quite hard by trying to make the most of the last run. I now have to second guess myself and head home before the last run of the day.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

When I get a new bike (new to me or properly new), I make a tiny scratch on the bottom of the bb outer.

I remember years ago, I had a new frame and was a fraid of doing a jump I’d done previously in case I damamged the bike. Was persuaded to make the mark then it’s no longer perfect and you can just enjoy it.

andytherocketeer

ocd ritual…
    always a bonus dump
    always clip keys to the clippy thing in rucksack, zip everything up, put backpack on, take backpack off, double check everythings still zipped up and keys, phone etc. are still there, then put backpack back on again.

superstition…
    don’t do the magpie salute, but do go “eff off vermin” or “get out the way vermin” at every pigeon that comes near me.

olddog

If doing DH or at a bike park. I never say “this is the last run”. I’ve done that a few times and then binned it quite hard by trying to make the most of the last run. I now have to second guess myself and head home before the last run of the day

… this is important! Same applies for snowboarding, although I just don’t think about it – I just stop when it feels right. But never do the just one last run, always a sign of being too tired.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

If I’m ever driving anywhere to go riding i have a ritual by the car working from my toes to my head checking off I should have with me.
    Shoes – Check
    Socks – Check
    Shorts – Check
    etc etc
    My memorys guff and it stops be getting 50 mile from home before realising I’ve got no helmet!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Riding Superstitions and Pre-ride Rituals’ is closed to new replies.