• This topic has 22 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by aP.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Riding suggestions SW of Basingstoke
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Next weekend I’m camping at a site at RG25 2HP for a friends birthday. A few of us are planning on riding on the Saturday but it’s not an area I know.

Can anyone suggest (even better provide me with GPX files) for some rides around there? Ideally would ride from the campsite – no point just driving to the Surrey Hills.

Road or off road – whichever’s best around there.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Farleigh campsite? Forest something or other?

I’ve got a fespots around there. Will pop back in later today. Off riding now. Oddly enough, my route will head nearby!

Re bike, take HT or gnarmac.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

On my way out as well. Looking a bit damp here 🙁

Campsite is “inwood”. I’ll be on my 29er hard tail.

I know the sort of terrain to expect – a decent scenic bridle way loop would be fine.

Cheers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cinnamon_girl

I can send some gpx files of the area.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Cool – simon@nicolai-UK.com

cinnamon_girl

Shall do, won’t be til later as I’m just back from a ride. 🙂

May not be a good idea to have the postcode up there?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Why? it’s the postcode of a campsite…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, I know that I for one never like to advertise where my bikes are going to be….! 😀

I know that site well, ride past it often, it’s near the excellently named Gobley Hole!

So, some nice places to ride….
    Long BW that runs parallel to the B3046, as well as heading over Windmill Hill to/from Nutley is rather fun on 30mm slicks in winter!

How about….

Farleigh Lane down through Dummer, across the A30 through N Waltham and up to Overton is good for a tea/cake ride. Also, very nice new (re-opened) local ( 😉 )pub in the centre of the village. 8) Then, back along the lanes to Popham, over the 303 and down the side of Black Wood to Larkwhistle Farm. Back up through Micheldever Station, left down Weston Down Road, down to Micheldever Village, across the 33 then tracks around East Stratton towards Brown Candover. Road up to Preston Candover (Nice and wide, but a false flat heading up that way!) then up through Moundsmere Lodge to Damsel Lane up through the estate. Lovely place to ride, that!

I’ll probably be out and about somewhere around that part of the world on my gnarmaxe (As in an axe/weapon for gnarmac. What do we think? 😉 ) so might just see you around!

cinnamon_girl

gpx’s sent. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh, and watch out for the car parks in Preston Candover. Glamourous ladies hanging out of the back of their cars, dressed only in a scant selection of lycra, showing off their lovely frames.

Filthy, I tell you. Filthy.

😉

scaredypants

axe/weapon for gnarmac. What do we think?

cinnamon_girl

😆

Filthy afterwards shirley?

😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Scaredy, I think you’re right. A step too far! 🙂

C_G, be still my beating heart! 😀

cinnamon_girl

You smoothie you. 😉

cinnamon_girl

Cap’n – do you ride your Diverge through Norton’s Wood?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Was it ever in doubt? 😉

*Edit – Norton’s Wood? Only ridden down the BW so far (Bedlam Bottom, IIRC) Runs almost due south, starting just to the east of Farleigh Wallop. IIRC, Norton’s Wood is on the right as you head down/west of that BW. Anything worth looking at in there?

Simon, loosely back on topic, do please update when you know what time/day you’ll be riding.

cinnamon_girl

That must have been bumpy!! Private woods owned by the Earl of Portsmouth so I’ve never explored. Seen shooting parties going through.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Hurrh!

Will update this thread when I know what we’re doing.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Weather looking rough for Saturday now so replanning a ride for Sunday. Will probably try to start 1030 or so.

All could change when we arrive and see what the rest of the party are doing but we’ll be the only ones riding.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Thanks all – did a 25km loop on Sunday. Dry trails but legs still tingling from all the nettles – they’re properly impressive this year.

cinnamon_girl

Full body cover essential in the South! What was your route then?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Simon, apologies, totally forgot about this! Hope you had a grand ride. Would love to hear where you got to!

aP
    Free Member

Is that what those pictures of you and K were from?
    Must meet for ride soon.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Riding suggestions SW of Basingstoke’ is closed to new replies.