Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Riding spots near Wilmslow, Cheshire
  • chocolateteapot
    Free Member

Evening all

I’m getting back in to my biking after a 10 year break! I have a couple of routes from my house in Wilmslow, one being around the airport and the other around Alderley Edge.

I have ventured out further to Marple & Llandegla as well but i’m after maybe another ride or two I can do from my front door.

Does anyone know of any decent local riding around here, predominately off road?

This is my usual Alderley Edge route: http://www.strava.com/activities/206909907

Cheers!

crazy-legs

There’s very little out that way, it’s mostly joining up farm tracks with a lot of road work in between. Not bad on a CX bike.

Marple, New Mills, Hayfield is where all the obvious stuff starts from.
    There’s a reasonable amount in and around the Goyt Valley too but the vast majority of it is cheeky and not really something to be attempted on weekends, most of it doesn’t hold up well in bad weather either so is really a winter frozen-solid or a dry summer crack-of-dawn/late evening ride.

Bits and pieces in Lyme Park but again it’s a lot of road work joining it all up for not much reward.

Macclesfield Forest isn’t bad but you’ll probably need a local to show you the best bits (count me out, it’s been years since I’ve been there!)

I’d never bother taking the MTB out Cheshire way but maybe I’m spoilt living over this side – I’m a couple of miles from Chinley, Hayfield, Marple, Roman Lakes, Mellor…

chocolateteapot
    Free Member

Much as I expected really, we went to Roman lakes a week or two back and did a route around Mellor / Rowarth which was really good, great scenery.

It would be nice to have a few more on my doorstep but I don’t mind a drive out every couple of weeks.

Cheers

1-shed
    Free Member

Delamere is worth exploring, still a short distance in the car.

funkmasterp

Macc Forest is good and can be linked up with other rides around Cumberland Brook, Three Shires and other places. It’s a great little ride around the Forest with a bit of all sorts thrown in. Not that I’m biased or live on the road that leads to the Forest or anything 🙂

vickypea
    Free Member

+1 for Macclesfield Forest, 3 Shires Head, Cumberland Brook.
    If you go over near Lyme park, there are a few trails including up by Bowstones farm.

chocolateteapot
    Free Member

Thanks all, Delamere and Macc forest are both on my list

RickDraper
    Free Member

funkmasterp do you live in or around Sutton or langley?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Riding spots near Wilmslow, Cheshire’ is closed to new replies.