Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Riding solo.
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

I find in a group I’m more daring and try more to push myself. On my own I just cruise, retry sections, explore more and probably stop at more cake shops or pubs. Each has pluses and minuses

bigwill
    Free Member

not a big fan of 4-5+ group rides as they are too stoppy start, dont mind riding in a small group of similar ability riders, but prefer riding solo, except mountain biking in the dark, think i get a bit scared of ghosts. for solo big mountain stuff, I carry a PLB as a backup should the phone have no signal and things go t*ts up.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Solo rides are a bit depressing, much prefer to ride with mates and any faffing doesn’t really bother me, in the week it’s more likely I’ll wait for an evening group than go solo during the day. People are great

iainc

most often solo when on road, as usually ride from home. Evening and weekend MTB rides usually group, but ideally 3 or 4 max, with similar ability.

Also like, when away from home, exploring new trails with locals, especially when they make a good effort of coming out and showing you stuff

scotroutes – Member
    I much prefer riding on my own. I hate it when someone is visiting this area and wants me to show them some trails.

…even the grumpy ones 🙂

who’s actually a top chap really 😀

kcal

I like both. happy with both. each have their plus points; on balance though, as someone that works from home and doesn’t always get to meet folk as often as is best;

*/ circumstances often mean I can head out for a couple of hours when mood suits, rare that that fits in with others

*/ equally, I appreciate being out with others (not all the time mind). shared trails (often its trails – roads are more limiting though often someone has a different route..

whitestone
    Free Member

Don’t mind riding alone or in small groups, often it’s just my wife and myself, but I find big groups a bit of a faff.

I did the Bearbones winter event this weekend. For most of the two days I didn’t see anyone. I did meet one solitary MTB rider near Nant-y-Moch reservoir (thanks for the directions if that was you) but that was it.

colin9

If I’m riding alone I usually take a road bike, get into a rhythm and put some miles down. Mountain biking is a social affair for me, I’m more than happy to put up with a bit of faffing for a blast around some trails with some mates.

richardkennerley

i mostly ride alone and that is the way i like it. being out by myself and having only myself to think about is what i like about it!

i have a riding mate i occasionally get out with and when we do, we try to do “bigger” rides e.g. up helvellyn.

i feel a bit reluctant to get too remote by myself, i always take phone, map etc and let the mrs know what I’m doing but i rarely do what i consider a big ride by myself.

do other people have a limit to what they’ll do alone? taking precautions aside, where do you draw the line? i want to tackle Skiddaw/ullock pike this year and helvellyn again; and do the nan bield loop to try and spot the eagle, but I’m not sure if they push my “sensible limit” too far!!

crazy-legs

On road – almost always on my own. I rarely plan routes to the last details, more a case of “over there somewhere” and I want the freedom to do that.

Off-road – almost always with friends, usually a drive off to a trail centre or somewhere a bit different to the local stuff so easier and better to go with others.

do other people have a limit to what they’ll do alone? taking precautions aside, where do you draw the line? i want to tackle Skiddaw/ullock pike this year and helvellyn again; and do the nan bield loop to try and spot the eagle, but I’m not sure if they push my “sensible limit” too far!!

Done all of those on my own.
    We used to go on family holidays to the Lakes and I was the only person remotely interested in MTBing. I used to go off crack of dawn, get in a 3hr ride and get back when the family were just getting up and we could then do family things. That was in my late teens, way before mobile phones. Although I did always leave a map/description of where I was going on the kitchen table.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Riding solo.’ is closed to new replies.