Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • riding snowdon
  • germolene
    Free Member

Has anyone mountain biked (if there is such a word) it down Snowdon. I have read abit and seen videos, it looks very rough both up and down?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s ace. Don’t let anyone tell you you’re going too slow, when they do that the mountain makes them fall off.

Korma’s a bitch, yo.

hot_fiat

It’s awesome. We usually do the path to/from llanberris that follows the railway. You have to walk some sections (like the bit from above half way to the bridge, up over ) but most if it’s doable. On the way down try not to fall off the edge on the very top section. The rock garden from the bridge is hilarious, as are the water bars. Take care with walkers: you get a lot of numpties in jeans and 99p ponchos, making their miserable day even more miserable by startling them is bad form.

It is a proper mountain. It will try and kill you given any slack. The weather on top is usually crap: if it’s raining at Pete’s eats in Feb, then it’s guaranteed white out at the summit. The summit cafe is not open all year round so don’t bank on it being there.

From May to September bikes are banned by gentleman’s agreement between 10am and 5pm. Outside of these times it’s fair game.

The sheep are suicidal.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

all sheep are suicidal. an old sheep farmer once told me “sheep are born to die, they are happiest when they’re dead, the only trick to sheep farming is beating them to it”

iolo
    Free Member

Im sure if you use the search function you will get all the info you need

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Really? That would be a first!

tmb467
    Free Member

Better to google Snowdon + “SingleTrackWorld”

Search function here is ok in principle but people who say to use it probably haven’t used it for a while

robj20
    Free Member

I will be riding it the last Saturday in April as usual. Always a good morning last year the weather was stunning.

germolene
    Free Member

Ok thanks, How long does it take up and down?

FS or hardtail

kayak23

2.5-3.5hrs to the top. Any bike will do.

jekkyl

Sometimes at the top your visibility will be just a few metres, the stone obelisk marks the point for the rangers path start, one on the main path and another over the tracks & down a little to the right. Best to pick about 3 dates close & go on the one with the best weather report, as said above, the mountain will try & kill you so take proper winter clothing. Have fun 🙂

chum3
    Free Member

Great little adventure, that…

Did it in Nov ’12, left Llanberris at 5am in the pitch black, but the mountain god was on our side as the sheeting rain abruptly stopped 10 mins before we were due to leave.

After a bit of off-piste, night naviagtion to pick up the path and railway, rode (pushed a bit) through a gloomy dawn to the summit, which was clouded in.

Down Ranger path which fun although it did try and kill me – I have since invested in 6 inches of ‘skills compensation’ for future similar circumstances.

To Pete’s Eats for brunch, and the biggest plate of omelette and chips I’ve ever seen, and up Tryfan in the afternoon.

fozzybear
    Free Member

Llanberris up and down is boring.
    Yes, go up Llanberris but go down another. see the sights.

We rode up (ish) the rangers (a few hike sections) and down Rhydd Ddu.
    Rhydd Ddu is exposed at the top bit and a great ride.
    I’ll not forget that decent ever.

Done it a few times walking and on the bike now.
    Jealous the Athertons got the train up.
    They rode down the Rangers in the video.

robj20
    Free Member

They would make a killing if they ran one early train just for bikes.

jekkyl

Yeah the train people are missing a trick there, I always thought too. Build one carriage with a bike rack and advertise the ‘mountain bike train’ in advance and people could sign up for it, timed to get to the top just after dawn. Maybe someone should suggest it to them.

flyingmonkeycorps

Secretly, I quite like the slog up. Makes it more of an adventure.

rhid

I like the ride up too, its not really too bad apart from the steep rocky bit before the clogwyn station! I really rate the Llanberis path as a descent, the rangers is ok but I much prefer the flat out nature of the Llanberis path (obviously ridden responsibly when outside of the voluntary ban).

Either route you take it will be a good day out and if you are quick the whole thing can be done in under 2 hours.

nealy
    Free Member

It’s boss, only done it once so far up and down Llanberris but can’t wait to get back there, that was on a hardtail and made it down in one go in 20 minutes but was completely shagged at the bottom. It’s a proper big hill so try not to fall off but remember speed is your friend…until it kills you 😆

flyingmonkeycorps

Much prefer the Rangers myself, but horses for courses and all that!

Pook

When we first went up a few years back it snowed. It was July.

PJ266
    Free Member

Its not always bad weather up there 😀 No wind, sunshine, blue skies. Happy days.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘riding snowdon’ is closed to new replies.