Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Riding shoes – keep water out or 'quick' drying
  • Gotama
    Free Member

Need some new flat pedal shoes which will be from the FiveTen range as they fit and I like the grip from the soles. I’ve been browsing the new EPS model which seems pretty well set for keeping water out apart from the obvious point of weakness. But on the same lines if they’re broadly sealed then they’re going to be a bugger to dry out when the inner inevitably gets wet. So an alternative is the Freerider Contact which seems to be thinner mesh and whilst it will get a lot wetter it should dry faster.

Both worn with my spangly new Endura MT500 waterproof troos which based on two rides are excellent. The trouser should help with some water ingress around the ankle in the case of the waterproof shoe.

wilde86
    Free Member

keen to follow this thread to see what people are wearing.. Recently picked up some Five Ten Impact Lows thinking they looked fairly sturdy and the leather will keep out the Yorkshire damp!

On receiving them – they are huge with a hell of alot of material, they will be a b1tch to dry out!!

Need something suitable for AM/trail riding. The Specialized F2O shoes look like an option if you venture away from Five Ten

Gotama
    Free Member

2fo are nowhere near as grippy on the sole if that matters.

hooli

I have a pair of each, warmer splashproof shoes and then some summer breathable ones. I wouldn’t bother with trying to keep the water out, it will get in at some point and they get heavy, take ages to dry and stink.

Normal shoes and waterproof or thick socks depending on conditions are the way forward.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I am definitely in the get wet feet category, I wouldn’t even bother with waterproof socks.

IMO anything that tries to keep water out invariably keeps the water in, and then the water gets cooled so your get very cold

Summer shoes and warm marino wool socks for me.

Northwind

I have the current Freerider Element, it’s a lot more water resistant and holds less water too so it still dries out faster than previous five tens. Quite tempted by the EPS but the missing word is “waterproof” or even “water resistant”

For me- merino, long waterproof sock, most winter appropriate shoe you can find. For me that means the element so far and the sombrio shazam before that. Yes waterproof socks can let water in and hold it there but that’s still warmer than a constant refresh of fresh cold water.

km79
    Free Member

Quick drying and waterproof socks for the summer and keep water out and waterproof socks for the winter.

Gotama
    Free Member

EPS but the missing word is “waterproof” or even “water resistant”

Uppers are leather according to fiveten website so they will presumably take the same leather cream stuff you put on hiking boots.

I’m sure a lot of water gets in through the sponge like tongue on my Freerider Macaskills. These at least have a leather tongue and they’re joined to the inner shoe so it can’t get down round the side.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Riding shoes – keep water out or 'quick' drying’ is closed to new replies.