Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Riding round Lancaster?
  • FOG

I have got to take my wife for a day course in Lancaster uni shortly. Is there any good riding reasonably close? I will drop her off at 10 and pick her up again at 4 so I haven’t really got time to drive too far to start riding and I don’t know the area well so suggestions appreciated.

ransos
    Free Member

I was at the uni a long time ago, but I remember a nice descent down from the wind farm at Caton. There was also a little bit of cheeky singletrack around the campus perimeter, but they’ve probably built over it by now.

nbt

From what’s been said previously, there’s not much near Lancester itself – SFB and Crazylegs are / were residents

FOG

I have heard Salter’s Fell mentioned, worth riding? Near enough to drive to and ride?

woody2000

Gisburn’s about 20 miles away – bit too far?

FOG

Probably, driving would eat into ride time I think.

woody2000

Have a look at the bogtrotter’s website, they’ll have some riding nearby I bet

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Not that much round Lancaster tbh. But as said above gisburn is around 30-45 mins away. So if you drop the oh off at 10, riding by 11. It can take anything from 1 1/2 – 2hrs to get round so you can be back in Lancaster by 2-3pm.

stumpyjon

Gisburn should be fine, doesn’t take more than a couple of hours to do the 8. At least it’s waymarked.

Santaslittlehelper
    Free Member

Try Farleton Knott up near carnforth, its good for a 10 mile loop and there’s a good downhill run from the top.
    Also Settle/Malham is only half hour from Lancaster and lots of riding round there.

stever
    Free Member

Dunsop Bridge over the Trough of Bowland road is closer than the above. Have a look at the OS, join all the bridleways together in a sort of cloverleaf shape. Salter Fell’s been sanitised a bit recently I believe and was often done on road/cx bikes anyway.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Or go North up the M6 and ride Garburn or similar from Staveley.
    +1 for boggies site

sefton
    Free Member

speak to some one on the Boggies site (mtb club based in Lancaster) – they’ll sort you out 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Riding round Lancaster?’ is closed to new replies.