Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Riding round Gibraltar/Algeciras
  • MrAgreeable

Me and the missus are heading out to see a friend of hers in Gibraltar this weekend, and I was wondering if anyone could give us any pointers for good MTB routes. I gather there isn’t much in Gibraltar, but there are a few tracks round Algeciras? We’re both quite happy to ride steep or bumpy stuff if it’s available.

I’m aware that I might as well title this thread “paging SimonRalli”, but I don’t want to put pressure on the guy. 😉

simonralli2
    Free Member

Hiya – I may have accidently reported this – email in header. I am out riding this weekend and yes, I have discovered how to descend Gibraltar on Singletrack. Happy to show you some rides : )

This link goes to my collection of rides, many of which are local

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonralli/collections/72157609685531106/

simonralli2
    Free Member

Well it’s been a few hours and still no sign of Roper on this thread. I was kind of hoping Roper would post something here, as I often feel left out with so many people setting up group rides the length and bredth of the UK, and having lots of discussions and fun about cake and stuff.

If Roper turns up, we can have our own STW Gibraltar STW group ride discussion and it will no longer risk being a “page” for me.

And the one good thing about gibraltar is that you can do a coast to coast in ooh – 10 minutes 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rOcKeTdOg

did someone mention CAKE?

Elmo
    Free Member

Is there a track down the rock?

Apart from just flying down the old water catchment slope?!

I do fancy going to gib again late in the summerr. I looked last time for any tracks but didn’t really see much…….I’ll be driving so taking a bike isn’t a problem!

On the other hand there is some tasting looking hills just outside the hole that is la linea! There must be plenty up there?

MrNutt
    Free Member

kill all the monkeys and I’ll come along!

roper
    Free Member

Hello

Well The weather forecast for Sat is good (so far).
    Simon what about the Getares to Tarifa ride? I know it almost did you in last time but it’s cooler now and you are fitter.
    It is always scenic with great views of Morocco and Spain and should be dry enough even with the rain we have had. Lots of rocks and less clay. If you really want to go for it get to Tariffa for some Tapas and ride back. It does get a bit technical for the last 10k though. So maybe just to the tower and loop back?

As for food there is Jamón and err Jamón. Maybe the Roadies breakfast of toast with raw garlic and olive oil?
    San Roqué is good for Tapas though all weekend. La Linea will have places open too and a couple of those are nice. Not any Spainishian cakes though blurgh 🙁

Is that enough Si?

Oh plss in shoes, back doors, baby robin, cake, bombers and beer.
    🙂

simonralli2
    Free Member

Elmo

I have been in Gib a year and a half now, and 2 weeks ago did some further exploring. I have worked out a descent that I reckon is maybe 80 – 90% off road, with some lovely flowing singletrack. Here it is:

Start here

then down these (the Gibraltar “Stainburn” double black special)

and then singletrack

RocketDog – yeah – there is cake but I am quite partial to truffles with a cappucino, although if we do Gibraltar we could end up at Sacarellos:

simonralli2
    Free Member

Yeah – for the record I was lured into the Getares/Tarifa bike ride on the basis that it would be 3 hours, and the fact that we were meerting at the ludicrous hour of 8am would mean we would be back before the mid day sun. Well it was 33 degrees and it turned into a 6 hour ride, everyone running out of water and me totally and utterly FUBAR.

I was thinking more Sierra de la Luna and then looking for the singletrack JanetStreetPorter told me about, then going up to the top of the Getares technical descent, back to cars parked either at getares or the arches near Rio de la Miel (Algecieras). You’ll love the climb (20km of it no less).

MrNutt
    Free Member

bloody monkeys!!!

Freak yourself out on the Mediteranean steps?

simonralli2
    Free Member

YMCSIH

LOL – I think even Steve Peat would be defeated by some of the drops

This pic doesnt should the monster steps half way down.

roper
    Free Member

In my defence it does normally take 3or 4 hours 🙂

Very good point on the Sacarellos cakes and cheese cakes and cream things.
    Nice coffee too. Don’t forget Just Desserts for cake too.

Si how dry do you think La Sierra de la Luna route will be? I haven’t a clue if I’ve been there or not.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Ah Roper – YGM.

Yes – you should be defended as people should know Roper is one heck of a fit and fast rider!

My suggested route is cunning on a number of levels. Mr Agreeable has room for 3 bikes. If we park near that roundabout with the multicoloured trees, if time is short for you, you could do just Sierra de la Luna in 3 hours and head down the Tarifa road back to your car, while we do Getares.

However, the Getares loop will be pretty much down hill down the technical descent, and then round, so maybe 4 hours of riding in all? Err on the side of caution though, as we will need maybe half an hour for lunch, and another half an hour of photo taking time, and it’s say 5 hours in all. I was also thinking that if we park at the industrial estate, it gives us a 20 minute road ride to warm up before the start of the climb at Algecieras prison.

And just to reiterate what I said in my email, my suggestion has a lot of variery – climbing, big views of Gibraltar, altitude, the singletrack descent (assuming we find JSPs route), the Getares descent, and the views of Africa at the end.

Elmo
    Free Member

You’d think they’d be something on there somewhere!

The furthest i’ve managed is from Bados Passage to Europa point on a old mans bike!

roper
    Free Member

Yes – you should be defended as people should know Roper is one heck of a fit and fast rider!

Now you are just taking the plss. 🙂

That route sounds good though, I think I may have ridden some of it, might have been a run though?

I am popping to a bike shop tomorrow to get some new pads if you need anything?

simonralli2
    Free Member

Oh and Roper, I am thinking no karaoke this Friday based on last weekend’s shennanigans 😀

Nope – topped up on inner tubes Monday cheers. Check out my kona and how clean it is after Sunday!

Elmo – it’s full of hidden gems.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Took this photo this morning to give you an idea of the weather.

Start on the right hand side, then up and into that Sierra, riding across, and then ending up on the very far left with nice views across the Straights.

When up in the Sierra it isn’t straight across, it’s kind of almost a horseshoe shape as there are two small hills infront of one larger one.

MrAgreeable

That’s looking pretty clement. Hope it holds out for Saturday!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Hiya

I’d stay be prepared for rain, but at the most it will probably be light short showers. With luck though we should be OK.

roper
    Free Member
    simonralli2
    Free Member

Woa yeah – bring on the sun! Deffo looking good and hopefully some flippin warmth for once 8)

simonralli2
    Free Member

Anyone know what “parkeur” means? See the comments here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonralli/3327231723/

I have no idea what “parkeur” means or if Roper and I will be doing it!

Elmo
    Free Member

Isn’t Parkeur that “Urban free running/jumping”

Quite funky some of it.

One of those old BBC adverts had some of them doing it over roofs and stuff.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Ah right. No I am not planning jumping over any roofs. Just cycling up a hill, then coming down again hopefully in one piece although on this route last time my tyre exploded when I attempted a drop off on the technical descent at Getares. But in those days JanetStreetPorter was in there to help me sort it all out : )

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Riding round Gibraltar/Algeciras’ is closed to new replies.