Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Riding Rivington – San Marino lots
  • jonjones262
    Free Member

Hi,

So I’m gonna take my DH bike up North with me next week to mess around at Rivington.

Where’s the best place to park to do San Marino a few times?

Top or bottom? Would riding up the path be the thing tho do or is there another/easier way to ride to the top? (bearing in mind I’ll be on a horrendous uphill 200mm travel bike)

Thanks

badllama
    Free Member

Somewhere near the bottom if you go in from the other side you will be adding even more pain 😀
    I was told by a couple of fell runners the other day from the edge of the small wood (at the bottom) to the gate at the top is exactly 1 mile BTW

Watch the main road at the bottom very fast stretch full of motor bikes doing daft speeds at weekends. I suppose you would have to park in the village somewhere (Belmont).

At least you can look at the lines on the way up 🙂

lowey

I had a friend who became a strava victim. He used to ride with us all… till he discovered a KOM on SM. That was it. He spent the rest of his riding going up and down san marino trying for the KOM… right up until he bust his arm.

Park at the bottom and ride up. Its a gentle climb and easily doable on a DH bike…. you ride up it.. you earn the right to ride down it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jonjones262
    Free Member

Cheers for the info folks.

I’ll go from the bottom. 🙂

simondbarnes

Wouldn’t a dh bike be a bit dull on a descent like that?

jonnym92

As said park at the bottom and ride up. There may be some lay-bys on the road which you could make use of – but it’s a fast road so watch where you park.

I’ve seen people sessioning that descent on DH rigs before. Not sure the point – surely overkill? But each to their own.

badllama
    Free Member

jonjones262
    While your up there go round the other side and try “Ice Cream Run” (car park at bottom)and ” Dog Kennels” if you get the chance “Dog Kennels would be a bit tame on a DH rig though I guess.

If you turn left outside the Black Dog pub (coming from a Bolton direction) follow that road over the back of Rivi and just before you start descending into Rivi viallge the car park for “Ice Cream” is on you left

&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf]Ice Cream Car Park

The car park between Mosses Corker and the Hall word in the Rivington Hall Barn name on the map. Have fun and take the first runs a little easy 😀

I’ve had my biggest and hardest “Offs” on SM 😕

jonjones262
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s probably over the top on the Demo but I don’t get to ride it much, will be some good practice for my next uplift days. 🙂

Or I just take the Marley again and get to ride up nicely too.

jonjones262
    Free Member

Was a good evening.

20 minute walk/push the bike up – 3.30 minutes down!

Did 3 runs, just getting going by the 3rd one and was time to go.

Will be back to knock some time off in a couple of weeks.

DAMN you Strava! Need to knock 20 secs of to go top 50 🙂

scaled
    Free Member

In that case, its definitely faster on a ‘trail’ bike 😉

The gap between top 10 and matt gill is depressing

jonjones262
    Free Member

ha ha, yeah! I’m just looking through the results now.

Do people cut the right hander and go straight on? I imagine that’d chop a fair amount of time off.

3.16 was my quickest, only need to chop 1.06 to get the fastest…

scaled
    Free Member

If you mean the right hander that i’m thinking of, then yeah. There’s a pretty defined line going straight on that cuts the small right/left and a couple of rocks.

oldschool

Matt Gill considers cutting that bend cheating…………….. (And only uses his trail bike), reckons that unless it’s an uplift venue KOMS should be on a bike that you ride a route on. He’s a hard task master on a ride out.

dazh

I must be the only person I know who’s not that fussed by San Marino. I mean it’s a nice blast, but give me some steep techyness any day. I certainly couldn’t be arsed to go up and down it multiple times.

jonjones262
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s not the best DH in the world but it’s better than sitting on your arse doing nothing 🙂

Plus a long enough down to get to know my DH bike better.

jonnym92

Key to getting a good run is to avoid walkers!

Always none when trekking up but they come out of the woodwork on the way down. Frustrating!

molgrips
    Free Member

I must be the only person I know who’s not that fussed by San Marino. I mean it’s a nice blast

I’ve ridden it (during a great evening’s ride about which I still think!) and whilst it’s a pretty good bit of trail, it’s not that different to many other great trails in Wales, the Lakes or even the Peak I reckon.

Junkyard
    Free Member

IS matt Gill a euphemism for a professional downhiller?

loads of rumours about it and heard from numerous sources

eightyeight
    Free Member

Aye it’s a good run. I can’t fathom how someone can do it 1.20 faster – feels like I’m off on the breaks the whole way down. I guess that’s the difference between us mere mortals and proper bike riders.

That, and the ladies.

hairyscary

It’s not a bad desvent, but is a bit straight and pedally.
    If you want to move up the strava table, pick a dry day and pedal lots :-).

jonjones262
    Free Member

I’m gonna go back with my clipless pedals. Will save a load of time

radrob
    Free Member

I’ve also got an idea who matt gill is but can’t really say 😉 2 mins 5 secs is fast down there tho

scaled
    Free Member

To be fair, it’s pretty tight at the top there.

Buggered if I can find another 27 seconds down there without killing myself though.

Although, the bike does feel faster with the new shock, and I set a PR on the bottom half last week, with no chain or chain ring.

Hmmmm 😉

radrob
    Free Member

Junkyard is getting warmer to who matt gill is

Bregante

Is it someone linked to a north west based dh team manager by any chance?

radrob
    Free Member

Not sure about that bregante all I know is he and his mate had a little blast round rivi

radrob
    Free Member

Come on guys the clue’s in the second name

Harry_the_Spider

Is it someone linked to a north west based dh team manager by any chance?

He’s 4th

4 Nigel Page 2:10 42.3km/h

oldschool

[/quote]radrob – Member
    I’ve also got an idea who matt gill is but can’t really say 2 mins 5 secs is fast down there tho

Junkyard is getting warmer to who matt gill is

Conspiracy theories are great, but truth is he’s just faster. Although I did beat him in the Megavalanche (ok his pedal did fall off, but a win is a win)

radrob
    Free Member

Haha oldschool I like it guy 😉

womp
    Free Member

Looks like there are several segments down SM, which is considered THE ONE ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

gate to gate I would imagine but I do not use Strava

HtS That is what I have heard as well
    Why are we all being so secretive about naming names?
    Sam hill was who I was told – I assume someone could check megavalanche if they want

oldschool

Junkyard. Haha.
    Absolutely nothing secret. His name is as written!
    Can see the reason for the guess and he’ll be made up, but alas it isn’t true.
    Was in the pub with Matt last night told him he was famous and he just laughed, these theories will make him piss.

radrob
    Free Member

I live near rivi and ride a lot round rivi, there’s some great cheeky techy trails if u know were they all are. Got a mate who knows all round there, yep Sam Hill was supposed to have had a little blast round rivi with his mate and why wudn’t he it’s a great place to ride when u know the right places. I got the info off a good friend who bumped into his mate he was out with.

D0NK

sounds like you heard the same story we did radrob

Why are we all being so secretive about naming names?

coz no-one wants to hear “they told you sam hill, and you believed them? HA-HA, idiot!”
    😆

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Its a few years since I was Rivi way. Could someone post a link to SM please? I suspect I’ve probably done it but would be nice to know. Ta

chakaping
    Free Member

Sam Hill goes by a different pseudonym on Strava but hasn’t got that many segments round Rivvy (he is bloody fast though, obvs).

He was riding one of the secret DH tracks over there for CRC’s On The Hunt videos though, IIRC?

Never tried San Marino on a DHer, but I reckon a 160mm will be quickest. I can’t get near the time I set on my old Dune. Maybe on the new 29er though…

grum
    Free Member

I must be the only person I know who’s not that fussed by San Marino. I mean it’s a nice blast, but give me some steep techyness any day. I certainly couldn’t be arsed to go up and down it multiple times.

Pretty much agree. It was very good fun but I’m in no rush to do it again.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Heathens 😉

I still love it personally and at one mile it is a cracking descent with lovely drops and jumps

Tell “matt” he is **** quick then

Yours the idiot

FWIW the fastest up and the fastest down and up thinks it was a pro who did it

radrob
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure it was Sam Hill guys believe the hype

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Riding Rivington – San Marino lots’ is closed to new replies.