• This topic has 24 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • riding post prostate surgery – any experiences ?
  • iainc

Heading for keyhole prostatectomy a week today and expecting to be off bike for a few months. Thankfully they caught it early so good prognosis.

Have already swopped to Adamo saddle in preparation, but not much online re cyclists and post op riding tales, apart from a couple of US road blogs.

old_mtber
    Free Member

If it’s any help I had a Prostate biopsy last December and was off the mtb for 2 weeks. For another month I avoided the hard tail and stuck to the fs for obvious reasons. My biggest problem was the massive dose of 3 different antibiotics which ruined my fitness for a couple of months.
    Unfortunately I have to go back for another biopsy in Jan next year which I am not looking forward to.
    Hope all goes well with you.

iainc

Thanks, yes biopsy was uncomfy riding for a few weeks for me also. Advice re prostatectomy seems to be around 8 weeks min off bike, depending on what they find during surgery. I am at the young end of the spectrum and fairly fit so fingers crossed..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

All the best mate, fingers crossed in the shire too. Take care.

hainman
    Free Member

I had a total proctectomy last year,Whole rear end removed due to severe Crohns/colitis,i was back on the saddle after 4weeks,wasnt that bad,worst part was fitness,Or lack of…

iainc

Thanks Greg, and encouraging 4 weeks hainman. Cheers

iainc

last ride today for a while, just as well it was a good un !

crewlie

Had radical prostatectomy 8 years ago at 49. Not keyhole so a pretty big wound. Was gently back on the turbo after 6 weeks (probably slightly unwise, but I was very impatient)and fairly mild off road after about 8/9 weeks. Things improved pretty rapidly from there on, by 3 months riding was back to normal.
    Good luck with surgery, mine wasn’t caught so early, but still clear 🙂

Mail me if there’s anything you want to know.

crewlie

Nice one, I was out on my bike when they called me into hospital, I nearly missed my admission slot 🙂

iainc

Crewlie, just mailed you, appreciated ta

hainman
    Free Member

iainc where are you riding in that pic?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Looks like descending to Loch Lomond over from Aberfoyle side?.

iainc

Hainman, we parked in drymen and went up the path to Conic Hill, pic taken part way down other side, then tootled up the Westie for a bit, then cafe at Balmaha and back off road but not high level

Sandwich

Keep us updated. TRUS for me about 8 weeks ago. No anomalies but my prostate is 6 times too big. My dad had key-hole surgery in 2005 and just recently he had a bleed after some over exertion in the garden (lifting and carrying). There’s medical history on both parents side for me regarding prostate problems (I’m a relatively young 52 for these problems). I’m now at the ongoing monitoring stage.

iainc

Sandwich, will do, and hope things work well for you. PSA about 8 and Gleason 3+4 here, so hoping that surgery confirms containment and removal takes away the big C. Aged 48, with no family history..

ton

good luck Iain…fingers crossed for you mate.

iainc

thanks Ton, appreciated

teamslug
    Free Member

Good luck ianc, positive vibes from me…just been for the old doc’s finger probe a couple of weeks ago. Everything was ok but i’m a little surprised at the number of guys on here who have had a problem….do you think its bike related or just age related ( I’m 48)

iainc

thanks for the positive note, re

do you think its bike related or just age related ( I’m 48)

I dont think it’s bike related, and I have had a good chat with the surgeon on that. There is one piece of very limited published research linking riding to prostate cancer and loads suggesting no link. Age wise I am same age as you, but 48 is young for a diagnosis, especially where there is no family history, as in my case. Just one of those things I guess 😥

leftyboy
    Free Member

Hi good luck with this, if it helps (I’m noet sure it always does) I’m 49 and had testicular 20 years ago and skin cancer 5 years ago with early catches meaning I’m still here and all clear.

iainc

thanks leftyboy, encouraging tale of success, appreciated

iainc

Op done sat, home a few hrs ago, I can see that camelbak have taken much of their design from leg catheter bags 😀

Rest up for a week, then hopefully bag off and get walking to recovery…

iainc

First ride today 🙂 . 8 weeks and a day post op and 9 weeks off the bike. Felt great, even though on road, hosing down and blowing a gale 😀 . a few hrs, nice and steady and thanks to ISM Prologue saddle no pain at all in op area.

Just need to get ride fit again now 😆

duckers
    Free Member

Try swimming every other day to build up fitness and limit the pressure on the healing area.

iainc

Duckers – thanks, yes been swimming a fair amount, 3k yesterday. Legs are more sore post ride than the soft bits !!

Will limit myself to easy rides once or twice a week for a couple of weeks

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘riding post prostate surgery – any experiences ?’ is closed to new replies.