Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Riding on or near hampstead Heath? Bmx or mtb?
  • lyons
    Free Member

I'm doing a bit of work in hampstead at the moment and was wondering if there's any bits worth looking at? Eg jumps or anything?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

there used to be a couple of little jump spots on the heath, don't know if they are still there. Bring the MTB as they weren't particularly tight and you can explore more easily. you can also get out of there quicker as evening falls…..

MrTall
    Free Member

There used to be a bit of a downhill run and some jumps over the road at the very top of the heath and a few nice trails through there. Really can't remember exactly though as i moved back from London 6 years ago. Up from Hampstead past the hospital, up that way (used to be a lake type of thing next to the road up there?)

Word of warning though, last time i tried to ride there the police were in the woods giving out fines to riders as the millionaire locals didn't like cyclists getting in the way of their dog walking activities (probably done by the hired help as well!) in 'their' woods.

Of course it may well have all been flattened since i was there.

oldgit
    Free Member

My mate runs a bike shop nearby and gets stopped a lot when he rides over the Heath.

lyons
    Free Member

Why does he get stopped?

tron
    Free Member

Perhaps they think he's a Tory MP?

aP
    Free Member

I assume that he's got his knob hanging out…

oldgit
    Free Member

They think his riding is too furious. He does a little commute from Kentish Town to Golders Green and I think they have little purges every so often, but yes he does have his knob out quite a bit.

timmys

Yeah as people have described there is an area of sort-of bomb-holey slightly-downhilly trails in the area known as Sandy Heath (the part of heath directly west of Spaniards Rd).

According to this book there are some dirt jumps near Highgate tube station. They are apparently in here but I've never looked for them.

In my own attempt to find riding spots I came across this guy's blog and he seems to ride around the Hampstead area. Might be worth contacting him.

Good luck finding something – would be interested to hear if you do find anything interesting!

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I forgot about the highgate jumps. I checked them out last summer but you can see how worn out they are from the street view. Probably only worth looking if you're very close by on a BMX

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

If it were allowed there could be a cracking singletrack loop on Hampstead Heath.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Riding on or near hampstead Heath? Bmx or mtb?’ is closed to new replies.