Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • riding on footpaths…. it could of been so different
  • philfive
    Free Member

stumbled on this commons debate from 1968

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1968/apr/09/riding-of-pedal-bicycles-on-footpaths

i especially like point 1 😀

Markie
    Free Member

Although £20 for every mounted overtake would soon add up!

Drac

It goes downhill some what after point 1.

DezB
    Free Member

So we could’ve ridden on footpaths, but would have to jump off and run past any walker or rider of horse.
    That’d work!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Useless! No wonder it got withdrawn!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

So we could’ve ridden on footpaths, but would have to jump off and run past any walker or rider of horse.
    That’d work!

We would have ended up as world power in cyclo cross. The Belgians would have been gutted.

philfive
    Free Member

yeah but i said i liked point 1, the rest is balls 😀 the MP for High Peak wasn’t best pleased either.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Many country rights of way have stiles or even a kissing gate at the end of a path. What will happen there? How will people deal with a bicycle? Perhaps the hon. Lady will come in on this and tell us how one is to deal with a bicycle at a kissing gate, because there will surely be a certain amount of difficulty in surmounting that obstacle.

§ Mrs. White We usually find a way.

Mrs.White was ahead of her time methinks.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

“humping a bicycle over a style”. LOL

Theres some pretty poor arguments in there. At the bottom somone argues it would be dangerous because a cyclist might leave his bicycle in a field and some cows might go over and take an interest in it. WTF?

It would have taken all the fun out of cheeky riding 😆

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘riding on footpaths…. it could of been so different’ is closed to new replies.