Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Riding off road in a full face helmet permanently
  • mcnultycop

So after years of struggling with atopic dermatitis (on my face mainly), a new dermatologist I’ve seen thinks it’s sunlight allergy that’s my issue and she seems to have a point. Spf50 every day seems to be helping immensely.

The doctor wants me to wear a wide brimmed hat in normal life, and cover up as much as is possible. I’m not sure how to manage this without looking a tool, unless I’m on holiday somewhere warm.

However, I’m thinking what to do when on the bike (or at least the mountain bike). I’m looking at the Met Parachute – is there any real world experience anyone can offer me. What’s it like for pedalling in? Is it noticeably warmer than a trail type helmet?

I realise it won’t cover my face completely but it’ll definitely help, especially with the right eye protection.

bikeytom
    Free Member

I had an older version of it which I used for a few all mountain style rides, it was noticeably more Sweaty than an open face lid for me (disclaimer: I’m pretty Sweaty when I ride anyway). I also noticed the weight a bit more. What about something like an Urge enduro-matic with a much bigger visor? Also I think urge do a light weight full face? Might be worth a look? Would a lightweight buff Scarf thing do the trick? Good luck either way.

nickc

have a look at the Bell Super 2r as well.

good luck!

TheBrick
    Free Member

What about a cap under your helmet? This offer much more shade than the peaks on a helmet. You could even modify if to maximise air flow.

northshoreniall

I wouldn’t have thought a chin guard is going to give you much more cover than a lid with big peak? Something like the bell super has massive peak, like the wide brimmed hat they are recommending.

mcnultycop

It’s the cover on the cheeks that I’ll feel a lot of benefit from, along with a big peak a ff seems to have.

Might try a ride in my full on dh bluegrass full face and see what happens; I imagine a lot of sweating.

midlifecrashes

Could you get the coverage you need with Buffs, Respro pollution masks and goggles?

scaredypants

what was that thing RockETdoG had a pic of the other day – was that a Bell ? Was MaSSivE

northshoreniall

New fox lid is mahoosive, that the one he had picture of?

scaredypants
    northshoreniall

Great big bushy sideburns?

scaredypants

Great big bushy sideburns, chief?

<nods>

mcnultycop

Can’t grow sideburns.

I don’t like buffs and masks. I just don’t get on with them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There is a new version of the Giro Switchblade coming out maybe worth a look.
    Or just go night riding

antigee

available in Aus’ not sure if will ship to UK

https://www.cancercouncilshop.org.au/store/shop-accessories/accessories-treadley-bike-helmet-hat

(if interested and can’t find in UK and these guys don’t ship abroad pop me an email in profile)

cubist
    Free Member

I’ve got a Parachute. I’ve only used it once for a full day out. It wasn’t too bad. I sweat like a squaddie in a spelling test at the best of times and it didn’t feel any worse than my Giro Feature for heat. The rubber headband bit does a good job of redirecting the sweat around my face and away from my eyes.

I recently bought a Bell Super 2R for BPW trips, but sold it to someone one here as it was a tad too big (will be buying another in medium though). I’m a sweaty bugger, but was fine in the Bell – it was a cold day though and obviously not much pedalling

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GvJGrQ]Super 2R[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

eltonerino
    Free Member

I replaced my bell super with a super 2r. The 2 fits better/more comfortable than the original. I’ve only used the chin guard once, but it was fine. It was on my back for the climb and attached for the downs and some flat bits too. The cheeks were a little warmer but nothing if be bothered by. Breathing was easy and it seemed to direct a stream of air at my mouth so nearly felt cooler than with it off. (I’m not very sweaty)

If you go for a super 2r and don’t get on with the chin bar, you can always remove it and have a long peaked open face helmet.

Do you wear glasses or goggles? They should block out most uv getting to your eyes too.

Bregante

As above I think I’d try a buff or a cap of some form rather than a full-faxe. I can’t see that a met parachute would give you a huge amount more coverage around the sides of the face than a normal lid.

What about something like this under your helmet. I appreciate it may not be the best look but it could work?

http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360110626/379292_0_m_xacap_white_headwear.jpg?w=2000&h=2000&a=7

Hope you find something.

belugabob
    Free Member

Deerstalker?

Seriously – something like deerstalkers flap, sewn onto the straps of a normal helmet, might provide cover for your cheeks.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Riding off road in a full face helmet permanently’ is closed to new replies.