Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Riding nr Nailsworth/Stroud
  • ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Lived nr Nailsworth 6 months now, and now I finally got a bike. And permission to use it 🙂

Who lives round here, then? (Think Pete Imprezza is Stroud-based…) Need local riding buddies to show me the highlights.

Time is precious so I’m after shortish rides I can do from the front door. (I’ve ridden round the brilliant Cranham Woods before but that’s a bit of a trek. Also done Heaven of the South).

A study of the OS map reveals a plethora of Footpaths locally, but not much in the way of Bridleways. So this is where local knowledge comes in 🙂

jameso

Pop into cytek on cainscross road in stroud. Plenty of friendly local knowledge there.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

That was another question. Which is the best LBS around? The area seems to have more than its fair share.

qwerty
    Free Member

I think Riks left CyTek, but his ?uncle? should know what’s what. I’m Brimscombe way, from town I tend to head up to Standish / Edge via Ash Lane, or, up and over Selsey Common into Popes Woods along to Coaley Peak. Also do a nice loop out to Birdlip, Buckholt Woods, Painswick Beacon, Edge, Standish (can add on Selsey/Coaley and Rodborough/Winstones) and home along the canal. I’m not too familiar with Nailsworth side but have ridden around that way with Bigfoot MBC so trails exist, supposed to be a decent decent behind pub on road to Avening. If you want to hook up, email is in profile.

qwerty
    Free Member

Noahs are excellent, CyTek has good reviews, Black 8 bikes are your local, I’ve not used them but they appear pretty active riders so should be first port of call for doorstep trails. Plus a well pukka frame builder TJD lurks nearby.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Thurman,

There is ride out every Wednesday night from Black 8 Bike, (on the A46 just past Egypt Mill). Between 5 and 12 riders most weeks, leave the shop at 6.30pm for 10 to 12 miles on local trails around Nailsworth.
    The level and speed depends on who is out that night.

You’ll need lights this time of year as it’s surprisingly dark in some of the wood and valleys quite early. Usually end at the Brittania by 8.30pm.

Luke, who runs Black 8 is a good no bullshit mechanic.

If you want a details of a few ride I can let you have tracklog files or Strava details but coming out on a Wednesday is a good way of getting to know the area with no navigation issues.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Ooh that sounds good PeterStarkiss.

I live opposite Dunkirk Mills so Black 8 Bikes is literally a stone’s throw 🙂

Am no stranger to night-riding. Used to do loads around Longleat Forest before I moved up here. Only slight problem with joining in on a Weds night is logistics: I work in central Bristol so have a bit of a hefty commute which involves cycling 1/3 of the way, and may not guarantee I’m home in time to join you.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

As it gets later in the year we tend to leave later.
    At the moment it’s a case of grabbing the daylight but when it’s dark from minute one it makes no odds.

Let me know if you want some route information but for starters here’s a good loop.

Nailsworth to Shortwood, via Lower Lutheridge Farm to Nympsfield.
    Head towards Woodchester Mansion and then into Penn Wood area. There are trails that run along the escarpment to Selsley Commmon.
    Head to the highest point on the common and keep going through the bombholes to the cattle grid opposite Water Lane.
    Down Water Lane into Woodchester. Cycle trail back to Nailsworth.

GeForceJunky

I’m Horsley/Dursley based normally (in Sheffield for 6 months at the moment). There is some great singletrack in the Selsley/Coaley woods, above Dursley/Stinchcombe and around the North Nibley area.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

PeterStarkiss: Nice. Might try that on Sun AM. Ta 🙂

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Thurman.

Entrance to Buckholt Wood (Penn Wood) is easy to miss, it’s off the B4066 not far past the driveway to Woodchester Mansion, single wooden gate on the left.
    If you get as far as the Gliding Club you’ve missed it.

v666ern
    Free Member

Stinchcombe is worth a visit and of course if your getting gnar we’ll soon have the birdlip bikepark to rex in effect. 😳

cant recomend slam69 in brockworth enough as a great LBS…nothing to do with hiring a fat bike for the day either 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Riding nr Nailsworth/Stroud’ is closed to new replies.