Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Riding north of Golspie?
  • grumm
    Free Member

Got a mate with a cottage I can stay in for free somewhere about 50 mins north of Golspie. Is Golspie good? Is there any other good riding not too far from there?

Found some spots near Inverness but was wondering if there is any other bits up there – natural stuff or whatever really.

Ta

FG
    Free Member

Never ridden at Golspie but Carbisdale and Balblair trails are pretty good and are just SW of Golspie.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-74EJDM

jojoA1
    Free Member

Golspie is fantastic, especially when you get the right weather, the views across the Moray Firth are spectacular when it's clear. Rode there and at Balblair (near Bonar Bridge) at the weekend. Balblair is quite short, but I don't know another trail centre like it. A lot of it is exposed bedrock, with arrows painted on it for the 'best' (most rideable) line and it's a real test of balance and slow bike skills. Really imaginative use of the existing terrain and should be a training visit for all trail builders as's a must to see what can be done with 'man made' trails other than armoured paths.

The better natural stuff North of there is further over to the West and there's other people on here better able to advise you on that.

grumm
    Free Member

OK thanks – looked at Balblair and Carbisdale,could maybe do them on the way up. Golspie looks ace actually

bruk

Rode at both Balblair and Carbisdale. Balblair black really quite technical but great fun, Carbisdale is very short though, did it and thought I'd missed 1/2 of it as it went so fast. Still fun for a wee blast.

Golpsie is meant to be fantastic though so will head for that next time we are heading up to visit relatives again!

NZCol

rode all three in July in amazing weather.
    Golspie is pretty cool for a couple of laps, very well built and flowy in the right places. Balblair was a hoot, quite technical but just amazing fun to ride. Carbisdale was a hoot as well. All worth it. I also rode at Strahpeffer and that was really nice.

Bunnyhop

Well worth a visit to both Golspie and Balblair. You won't be disappointed.

grumm
    Free Member

Cool sounds great. Anyone know of any riding further north or any good natural stuff?

mugsys_m8

There's loads of 'exploratory' stuff. I spent 3 months living up just east of Thurso. I rode with a bunch of lads form Dounreay where I was doing some research. Round Forsinard and Strath Halladale there's some good forest tracks/ landrover trails etc that are VERY remote.

Love it up there.

iainc

Golspie is great :

grrr. will need to read these posts about the new way to post pics…

" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />

iainc

nbt

you don't use angle brackets to post pics. grab the url of the image (not the page) and use the "img" button

james
    Free Member

Here you go iainc:

You need to use the url of the picture, not the page (right click on the picture, go to properties, copy from there)

I find it easier to type [/img] after the url and before the url, rather than use the img button (As it dumps the 'code' at the top of what your typing)

robgarrioch

Try this thread Iain.

Nice photies there, will have to get myself up sometime. If I may post the link to your photostream: Iainc's Golspie

iainc

aha… -)

thanks James and Rob !!!

cullen-bay
    Free Member

hey, If you want to ride some natural trails, come over to strathpeffer, north of inverness, 1 hour from golspie for the squarewheels shop ride, we'll show you the best local trails…

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Golspie is exellent,I would do it twice, Once carefully as theres a few nasty drop offs to catch out the unwary!(Clare Morris) 🙄

Once you get to know it its egreat, and has everything you could want in a manmade trail. 😉

Be sure to contribute for parking though,I know they are reliant on this future trail building. 😉

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Woo-hoo! Looks amazing.
    I'll be up thataway for new year, and then regularly for the rest of my days.
    Gonna git me reet familiar wit dem trails, man.

grumm
    Free Member

Ok thanks folks, looks great.

Sounds like Goslpie + Balblair/a ride from Strathpeffer on the way up, plus buying an OS map and exploring. 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Riding north of Golspie?’ is closed to new replies.