Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Riding near to Dunlop or Barrhead
  • pb2

Heading up north for a few days and want to get a couple of rides in if poss, anything from a few hours to five(ish) ride would be fine. I am going to be based between Lugton and Neilston and have a car to get to various start points.

Thanks in advance for any advice, pointers etc, Paul B

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Glennifer Braes?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gleniffer braes are a bit limited tbh.

Unless you fancy spending more than an hour in the car, road riding is your best bet – some really good road riding round there.

I’d contact walkers cycling club, see if you can tag along with them if you don’t want to drive too far.

If you don’t mind driving, you’re only about an hour from Drumlanrig, and about the same from Dumyat (which would be my choice tbh).

Decent restaurant in Lugton btw – Arran ales on tap too – the Canny man.

cbike
    Free Member

Its all Fields with Hedges and cows. Nothing to stop you, but 10 000 gates.

The Whitelees Windfarm Road is the nearest big open space. Some of the cycle routes join up to pollok park, dams to darnley etc but its not off road.

There is the wee hill at glanderston dam. That would take up about 20 minutes.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Gleniffer braes are a bit limited tbh.

Dunno, heard the area gets quite entertaining after dark.

Cathkin Braes won’t be far and there are routes across Fairlie moor that you can do from station to station. I remember something about a quarry in Barrhead years back but tbh it’s all bandit country out there. Dont get the wrong impression of the place from the miserable weather, it looks like that all the time.

pb2

Cheers guys,well road riding is not the end of the world and was early Sept when the plastic fantastic bike last saw some tarmac so if the off road riding is crap then Im happy to give the road a go.Any ideas where to head to ?

pb2

Just googled Cathkin Braes. Have you seen how many bloody golf clubs there are out that way. Is there the need or demand for so many ?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s the west of Scotland, golf is akin to a religion, and every club has a bar – was always going to be a winner.

If you do fancy the road biking, again – tie in with walkers cycling club. They have road rides tues, wed and the night, and both weekend days too.

allfankledup

Walkers – mtb on a weds night, road rides tues,wed,thurs,sat,at this time of year

Trips to trail centres every weekend or so for mtb

Cx in season ( marshalling at scottish cx champs,this weekend in Irvine organised by walkers)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Riding near to Dunlop or Barrhead’ is closed to new replies.