Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Riding near Portsmouth
  • SandCrab

Hi,

I am driving the wife to Portsmouth (Southwick area) next week and i have a couple of days free to take the bike out. I am thinking of taking the ferry to the IoW and doing the “Big Ryde” route and maybe the Isle of Purbeck Big Route from the Trail Guide section on here. Does anyone have any thoughts on these routes or suggestions for anything else in the area?

I am happy to travel up to 2 hours each way, i’ll be on my own so happy to give anything a bash – a link to a GPS route would be spot on if possible. Any gen on local bike shops would also be useful in preperation for the inevitable mechanical disaster!

Cheers

Chris

chrisdw
    Free Member

Loads of bikeshops, I like Solent cycles in Fareham, There is also a Cycle Surgery and Hargroves.

Hit up QE country park just south of Petersfield on the A3
    They have jut built a new red trail and its really good.

ttf
    Free Member

COUGH Peter Hansford Cycles in Winchester COUGH

superfli
    Free Member

Definitely try out QE Country Park:
    http://www.qecptrailcollective.co.uk

Taff
    Free Member

Cycle Surgery in Port Solent, Hargroves in Southampton, Velocity Cycles in Cosham, Solent Cycles in Fareham.

With riding definately try out QECP, guys have been busy there created fun course. It’s good for 1-1.5hours. You’ve got the South Downs, Kingley Vale, Lords Wood. Not been off road in IOW so can’t really comment.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

theres also Fareham wheelers cycle club who mtb on a tuesday and thursday night and the south downs mtb who do a wednesday and friday(i think). Worth checking both out if you want a nice night ride.

QECP is alright.

Theres some good natural definately-xc not hardcore-xc around but its very hard to find so thats why i’d say its best to find a group.

Taff
    Free Member

Or downlad strava and find a whole host of singletrack sections!

jambalaya
    Free Member

No need to travel 2hrs for good riding, South Downs (focusing on what is East of Portsmouth), IOW or Purbecks (furthest of the three options). All of these worth doing and are the XC / grand-day-out type. As you are on the coast all are exposed to full force of the weather so if the forecast turns dire you might go to QECP and more wooded/sheltered trails inland around there. There are threads on here with routes and/or people to contact for routes.

The link below has some stuff to the North of Portsmouth (eg Haslemere/Devils Punch Bowl) but I’d recommend researching stuff above.

VCGH

lucien

Try south downs way – all close by

Lordswood in Southampton – google maps has a trail map on it somewhere

Try Rotate DH

Try Chichester bridleways – Loads of great stuff

SandCrab

Spot on guys, thanks for the gen!

I was not even aware of QCEP, will give that a go!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Riding near Portsmouth’ is closed to new replies.