Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Riding near North Berwick or to the SE of Edinburgh?
  • el_boufador

Hello,
    We're off to North Berwick (E of Edinburgh) for a week's family holiday later this month. Trying to guage what the riding is like locally(ish) too see if it is worth attempting to sneak the bike along.

There's always Glentress / Inners, but to keep the travelling time down I was wondering if there was anything worth riding in the hills to the SE of Edinburgh (Lammermuir Hills)

Looks flat in the immediate vicinity so I don't hold out a lot of hope there really.

Any suggestions of good trails or whole routes would be appreciated!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There is a costal path of varying degrees of interest, I have only been able to find doubletrack in the lammermuirs mainly but there will be singletrack around I am sure.

around haddington there are bits – butterdean woods to the west of haddington and up into the woods towards ormiston. LOts of riding in the Pentlands south of edinburgh. Saltoun Forest east of Gifford has some riding as well.

What sort of riding you after?

Others know trhe area better than me – GW and Coastkid live in east lothian IIRC

GW
    Free Member

coastkid's the man for that neck of East lothian

check out his blog it's pretty cool

el_boufador

cheers TJ. After anything 'interesting' really – i.e. not fire road unless it is a climb to get to somewhere good.
    Big technical descents are my bag if there is the option though!

el_boufador

cheers GW

GW
    Free Member

you'll struggle to find techy descents longer than a few seconds long in East lothian but fun woodsy twisty singletrack (even the odd manmade jump ;)), long days out in the middle of nowhere, and plenty of old remote tracks are what we have in abundance out here

coastkid
    Free Member

hi there,as GW says,lots of green lanes between small woods,alot of the John Muir Way is nice and scenic,esp south of NB Law,trails along river tyne east of Hailes castle too,
    its about a 50 min drive from North Berwick to Tweed Vally for much fun and daftness 😮
    i dont have a garmin or would send you routes, have a browse through my blog
    recommend a walk up NB Law and Traprain too for views, both ridable down by bike too 😉

el_boufador

thanks again all!

stanfree
    Free Member

Cant add anything to the sterling advice dished out by GW ,TJ and Coast kid except get yourself along to the weekly Bike chain wednesday night rides to discover the Pentlands and beyond. Just remember and bring your lights as the nights are creeping In.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Riding near North Berwick or to the SE of Edinburgh?’ is closed to new replies.