Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Riding near Chorley & Bolton kind of area
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m working up in Leyland and my mate is doing the same in Bolton on a long term project, neither of us are from round this neck of the woods.

Last night we went and did a 20 odd km loop round Rivington Pike, I’ve done it before he hasn’t and it was pretty good. But we were both wondering if there is anything that has more single track in it round the area that can be put into a decent loop for say 90mins riding like the Rivi Loop from last night https://www.strava.com/activities/970947677/

globalti
    Free Member

Talk to Bogtrotters and Blackburn Bikers.

simondbarnes

If you head off Heapey Fold Lane there are some trails in Healy Nab that are worth a spin around. On a quiet evening you could loop around Anglezarke

yoshimi

Exactly what simondbarnes said – from Rivington Barn area, head up past Yarrow Reservoir, cut down toward Knowsley Lane, into Anglezarke Res Car Park, follow the obviuos path around the Res through the horse barrier, follow all the way to the end, hit Moor Road, turn left, along the road and then a left up to Healey Nab for a play – then maybe across the farmers field to the canal alongside the M61 back toward Rivington and cut off at Cowling Brown, onto Long Lane, then Hut Lane over the Motorway, linking upto Back Lane – Some good singletrack and will keep you happy for 90mins or so

Also Abbey Village trails worth a look but maybe a bit far out

chakaping
    Free Member

What kind of riding are you after?

A lot of the best singletrack at Rivi is fiddly to find downhill bits in the woods.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Some decent length woody single track would be nice if it’s out there.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Bogtrotters Southern Chapter ride 7pm every Wednesday, somewhere in/around this area. Rivi/Abbey Village/Longridge/Calderdale/etc.

Looking at your route, you missed all the interesting bits and might have been better doing it on a road bike!
    Like Chakaping said, the best bits are not obvious and all pretty cheeky. You really need to get someone to guide you to get the best out of it. Suggest you join the bogtrotters FB group and ask there.

Junkyard
    Free Member

its not as he said there are a few runs that are very cheeky [ eg there is one off the road section you did down to the ressie but its a footpath and not that long but does lead to a decentish singletrack round the ressie- though probably on strava street maps but they are not near each other and singletrack in that area is very sparse indeed

Not a moan its my local trails and I love them but singletrack is not in abundance but there are better loops than what you did there which is about as XC as it gets.

Happy to give you a tour is you like – PM me on here and I am sure others

chakaping
    Free Member

Do you want showing round?

steve_b77
    Free Member

The MNPR is a bit late for me really if I’m honest, but thanks for the offer.

@chakaping – that could be a very good idea, maybe one evening next week?

chakaping
    Free Member

Drop me a line, I’m often up Rivi daytime or early evening.

jonba
    Free Member

I posted something similar a month back have a look at my post history to find a link. Some really good suggestions.

spennyy
    Free Member

Few of us will probably be up rivvi Wednesday night

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Riding near Chorley & Bolton kind of area’ is closed to new replies.