Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • riding loch lomond in a few weeks.
  • onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

were at loch lomond in a few weeks on holiday sounds daft as there must be loads of riding around but is there any routes people know of?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Where will you be based – makes a difference

onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

hi jer.we,re staying at the loch lomond holiday park.its at the left side of the loch about halfway up.

13thfloormonk

Not sure precisely where the holiday park is, but a simple loop from that side of the loch is to go up Glen Douglas (steep tarmac) and follow it along until the wee bridge after the army barracks. Take a right there onto a farm track/landy track which traverses the hillside above Loch Long/Arrochar and eventually descends to the road between Tarbet and Arrochar, take a right there and follow the road back to the holiday park. Alternatively, once you’ve descended to the road, take the climb up to the train station, go under the railway and climb up into the forest, following the wee track to Arrochar. Once you’re there you could do the Coire Grogain loop which takes easy forest roads up to Loch Sloy and descends via some pretty good singletrack back to Arrochar.

I really rate the Rowardennan-Inversnaid section of the WHW (other side of the Loch) but not really sure of the logistics involved in getting there and back…

dh
    Free Member

These spring to mind

1) There is a loop from the visitors center at Argaten down the peninsula over to Lochgoilhead. Bit of a pull up the tarmac road to the top of the rest and be thankful though… Easy enough to spot on an OS map.

2) Another one from arrochar up to loch sloy dam (i think it that one anyway) then back some fairly enjoyable single track.

You could hop on the ferry over to inversnaid if you want to do a bit of the west highland way. I wouldn’t do that section myself, but plenty seem to do it…

There is another route near Furance at Inverary that takes you over the hill down to loch awe, I think that now has an offical name but can’t remember it. Not particulary near loch lomond, but in the right direction.

DH

onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

how long are these routes monk?

13thfloormonk

Good shout dh, the Auchindrain loop (affectionately known by nobeerinthefridge as Auch-no-drain Loop as it can be pretty wet!).

Think some of the better sections of that loop have now been tamed a little, but there’s still some very good rocky sections and lots of water crossings, feels pretty wild up top too, good value for money considering its not really a ‘mountain’ loop.

13thfloormonk

The Glen Douglas loop would probably be 30k? plus another 30-ish if you wanted to do the Coire Grogain loop. If you’re limited for time I’d skip the Glen Douglas bit and just park up in Arrochar, do the loop/loops there (dh’s peninsula route is a pretty good 50k although mostly forest roads with about 25% entertaining singletrack, slightly more if you divert up to the waterfalls above Lochgoilhead).

Auchindrain is a pretty hard 40k or so, lots of rocks, climbs and water.

Edit: TJ’s loop is the Coire Grogain loop.

onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

thanks guys.the holiday park is at inveruglas.so at the top end of the loch looking at the map TJ put up.

13thfloormonk

Sweet, you can just nip up the Hydro access road to the top of the singletrack descent, then follow the forest road back up to the dam and have a nice fast descent back to the caravan park. 8)

WHW from Beinglas to Crianlarich is a worthy wee ride, starts a little basic but with nice enough scenery, then the section in the trees between Crianlarich and Tyndrum is a blast, straight out of a trail centre. You could then turn right once you’ve hit the road, pedal back into Crianlarich, climb back onto the WHW and just retrace your steps to Beinglas. That would make a decent wee trip.

dh
    Free Member

Argarten loop here:

Loopy Loo

onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

anyone available on that weekend for a ride?its the weekend of the 19th 20th and 21st of august.

pomona
    Free Member

Ben Lomond is worth doing. A bit of pushing required going up but a looong descent. Go later in the day so you have a good clear run down free of walkers.

13thfloormonk

…mmm, little bit expensive to get up there for a load of rides I’ve already done, sorry!

cynic-al
    Free Member

pomona – Member
    Ben Lomond is worth doing. A bit of pushing required going up but a looong descent. Go later in the day so you have a good clear run down free of walkers.

90% walking up, 110% fun down, 4 hours.

WackoAK
    Free Member

The route that TJ posted is a cracker, the final singletrack bits are ace.

Link to a video I made riding there earlier in the year

Starts of with a slog up a fire road, some high speed fire road descents then you hit the final singletrack section.

onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

thanks for all your replys.everything has been noted. 🙂

haggis1978

i’ll second the ben lomond route as its a cracking ride

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

In not much more than an hour, you could drive up to Altnafeadh. Park there, straight up the devils staircase, down the other side and then hang a right along to the blackwater dam.

Down the Ciaran path and then back up the fire road out of Kinlochleven and finish with a blast back down the staircase.

Very good ride imho.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘riding loch lomond in a few weeks.’ is closed to new replies.