Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Riding "lighter" – How?
  • letmetalktomark

For years now I’ve ridden with a Camelbak.

I always ride with the usual “stuff” regardless of if I’m out for an hour or the day.

It’s a bit of a faff for quick rides out at the weekend and I’d like to simplify.

I have a bottle & cage.

I have a seatpost mounted pack that could easily be swapped around bikes – not sure on dropper post compatability though 😕

The bit I struggle with is pump. I don’t like riding with anything in a jersey.

Do I just go with a CO2 system and stuff it in the seatpost pack?

trail_rat
    Free Member

get a second bottle cage – get a bbb tool bottle – put pump,tube , multi tool in side the bottle and fit to cage.

amedias
    Free Member

Either CO2 cans if you’re that way inclined, in your pocket of in a seatpack, or even taped under the top tube! Or mount the pump to a carrier that sits under the bottle cage, the are no intrusive and with a mini-pump even less so.

I have a nice little bonty one that sits with a pump on one side of the bottle cage, and the other side has two CO2 cans that screw into a holder on the other side, and the pump can accept the CO2 cans for quick fill, but you still have a pump if puncture-geddon happens on a long ride.

One of these in fact

There are other similar ones eg:

this Birzman one

Or this specialized one

Another alternative if your frame has a 2nd bottle mount is a tool bottle instead of seatpack.

jonba
    Free Member

Some pumps come with clips to fit to the side of cages.

Or buy a roadie pump that is small. I’ve got a topeak one which also uses CO2 so can speed things up if needed.

I just have a box of bits that I take on rides. I pick up what I need for the ride in hand. Road vs. mtb tubes. Pump, spares etc. based on the length and location.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s a bit of a faff for quick rides out at the weekend and I’d like to simplify.

I have a seatpost mounted pack that could easily be swapped around bikes – not sure on dropper post compatability though

So grabbing the bag with a pump/tool etc in is more faff than swapping a seat bag?

For me it’s 2 camelbacks, one for big days one for short/racing both have pump/tube/tool etc. just add water & food.

benp1

Bumbag?

Northwind

I tried this, but every other option apart from taking nothing at all is just as much faff. Except when something happens and you wish you had something that’s in your camelbak, then it’s suddenly massively more faff.

There is an advantage to ditching the bag, it’s just nice to ride without it. But it’s not less faff.

cnud
    Free Member

Am tubeless to start with and have a samurai sword tubeless repair kit in handlebars, a tube strapped to seat and a pump clip on the side of bottle cage. If I’m out for a local ride I just take co2 and a tyre lever, if it’s a bit further afield pump on the clip and a Lezyne lever patch kit with a power link plus multi tool in pocket, 3 hours plus bum bag with all the previous, all dayers camelback with all previous plus leatherman and sarnies.

cookeaa

I much prefer being packless now, couple of hours local loop?

Mini pump lives on the frame, spare tube taped to the frame also, CO2 inflator, mini tool and phone in Jersey or jacket back pocket just in case… Seldom needed the tube or tools, not yet impaled a kidney (touch wood)…

But yeah, just gaffa taping bulkier items straight to the frame makes a lot of sense to me now…

Can’t believe how much crap I used to lug about in a pack…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mini pump lives on the frame, spare tube taped to the frame also, CO2 inflator, mini tool and phone in Jersey or jacket back pocket just in case

For me that would end up with 3 pumps on different bikes, and probably washing tools and CO2 a couple of times, after I invested in a load more jerseys with decent pockets, the baggy/Enduro/Trail style ones I have respond to anything more than key in the pocket by trying to strangle you 🙂

mrsfry
    Free Member

You can put things in your bra

trail_rat
    Free Member

“the baggy/Enduro/Trail style ones I have respond to anything more than key in the pocket by trying to strangle you “

The less on trend function before form ones i use – dont try to strangle you.

Cant put a price on looking cool though – camel bak for you.

kerley
    Free Member

I only do quick rides, 2 hours at most straight from house and back.

I take absolutely nothing with me other than a drink. If I have a mechanical or puncture then I am walking home.
    I don’t get mechanicals as I have the simplest bike possible and tubeless reduces puncture risk massively.

That is what I would call riding light…

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I’ve been mtbing nearly 30 years and for 99% of my riding i’ve never *needed* a camelback for anything up to about 4 or 5 hours. A properly sorted small saddle bag sized toolkit and spares will get you out of trouble 99 times out of 100. The only spares you really need are mech hanger, quick link, tube and a gear cable. Anything more broken than that you are going to struggle without a proper heavy duty tool kit anyway, and how often does a well maintained bike *actually* fail that badly? Tools, you don’t really need that many, there aren’t actually that many different fasteners on a modern bike, and TBH, they don’t often come loose either.
    Bottles on the frame, food in a pocket, and dress sensibly with decent cycling gear so stuff you take off can roll up and go in a pocket. Or you can easily adjust it for temperature, zips, vents and stuff. Gnarrcore kit doesn’t meet these requirements 😉

Only time i take a camelback is if it’s a big day out (more food). Or i have novices with me (they stop often and seem to like to take loads of kit, which they tend to not be able to carry, or actually need).
    One guy brought a full on heavy duty waterproof jacket, pretty much rated for high altitude alpine hiking, on a trundle round Cannock, in July. Persuaded him to leave it in the car thankfully.

njee20
    Free Member

Until something really simple goes wrong that you could have fixed in 5 seconds with a multitool.

Jersey pockets for me, agree with Northwind, it’s not really less faff, but it’s much nicer riding without a bag. Wrap a co2 pump in the tube and attach to the seatpost.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Oh, and maintain your bike properly to reduce risk of failure (and needing a big tool kit).

As far as i can remember, neither the wife or i have actually had a breakdown (other than a couple of punctures) in the last 4 years, last one was a snapped spoke on a training camp. And my multitool has a spoke key anyway, so it got me back to the hotel.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oh, and maintain your bike properly to reduce risk of failure (and needing a big tool kit).

If you can’t fix it with this then you are walking whatever…

Not sure what other tools you might need, the prospect of a 20/30km walk does encourage me to be slightly prepared.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Yeah, thats all i take, don’t need a camelback for that.
    Have seen people taking adjustables, pliers, crank puller, spare chain alsorts of “stuff” that really should never be needed (or fail) on the trail. Unless you are the sort of person who takes the bike to a shop once a year to get everything fixed. (then complains about the labour rate)

cloudnine
    Free Member

What about one of those small deuter front triangle frame bags

nedrapier

I’ve started riding a bit heavier, along with the “just grab the bag” guys. Still don’t like riding with a pack if I can avoid it.

Frame bag (a few velcro straps if I want to take a different bike) has tube, pump, mini tool, chain tool, spoke key, gear cable, light battery pack and light unit for when it gets dark, spare layer for the pub. Always been a less is more kind of a guy, and if I’m out on my own, on the 1.5 hour loop, I might not take anything, but I quite like the frame bag for Wednesday evening pub rides.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’ve been mtbing nearly 30 years and for 99% of my riding i’ve never *needed* a camelback for anything up to about 4 or 5 hours. A properly sorted small saddle bag sized toolkit and spares will get you out of trouble 99 times out of 100.

^ This is my experience. Chain tool, spare mech hanger and spoke key don’t take up much room in a little wedgie bag. I have two different sized Camelbaks yet usually leave them behind on account of the weight and encumbrance. Worst place to carry stuff whilst cycling is on your back imo. I currently use a Crank Bros mini power pump which fits in the small expander seat pack with no fuss. Have used bottle-cage mounted pumps also. No fuss, no faff.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For 4-5 hours I’m going to want more than a bottle of water and probably more than 2,anything near 30 and I’ll be looking and about a litre every 90 mins at a gentle pace and more going hard.

njee20
    Free Member

My comment was aimed at Kerley FWIW, rather than GM. A multitool is a good idea, riding with nothing at all is asking for trouble IMO.

shifter
    Free Member

I use a Blowfish for all rides but only put the bladder in for my longer rides. Don’t like riding without it and hate having stuff in jersey pockets.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Forgot to say – if out for a whole days and only have one or two litres bottle capacity I tend to top up regularly. Depending on the environment:

Bridleways – Pub or ask a villager or farmer for tap water

Bridleways/green lanes (away from general habitation) ask a farmer or find a mains-fed water trough and take from the cistern feed.

Open moorland (ie Exmoor, Dartmoor) – pub or stream

Wild wastes of Welsh Wales – stream or trough or a pub if really desperate 8)

Rarely do epic trips these days, at least those that are removed from any sign of human habitation for more than a couple of hours. If I was wild-campimg or riding in the wilds for a day at a time I’d probably ne forced to take a bladder-pack (and a purification/filter kit) – yet would still prefer to strap it to a pannier bag or stow in frame-bag rather than have it bearing down sweatily on my back.

andeh

Specialized do that range of SWAT stuff, which is pretty much just hiding bits and bobs around the frame without an off-trend frame/saddle bag. It’s not really anything you couldn’t shove in a pocket though.

If it’s a short ride, I tend to just take a phone, keys, multitool, a few quid and a water bottle. I don’t think I’ve had a puncture since switching to tubeless so make a calculated risk by not taking a tube.

Anything longer is a full backpack job but don’t go to the lengths of taking a headset press or the like. I don’t mind riding with a bag though.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Forgot to say – if out for a whole days and only have one or two litres bottle capacity I tend to top up regularly. Depending on the environment:

Bridleways – Pub or ask a villager or farmer for tap water

Bridleways/green lanes (away from general habitation) ask a farmer or find a mains-fed water trough and take from the cistern feed.

Open moorland (ie Exmoor, Dartmoor) – pub or stream

Wild wastes of Welsh Wales – stream or trough or a pub if really desperate 8)

Rarely do epic trips these days, at least those that are removed from any sign of human habitation for more than a couple of hours. If I was wild-campimg or riding in the wilds for a day at a time I’d probably be forced to take a bladder-pack (and purification/filter kit) – yet would still prefer to strap it to a pannier bag or stow in frame-bag rather than have it bearing down sweatily on my back.

Bez

A saddlebag that has a QR fitting to the saddle rails is ideal for the essentials (multitool, puncture kit, housekeys); works on any seatpost and is swappable between bikes if need be. The Rixen & Kaul fitting is good (though the screws are made of cheese). You can get such bags for under £10.

And just about all mini pumps clip next to the bottle cage. Easy.

Or there’s this.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

If you have several different bikes this is much less faff.

ie Road, 26″, 29er

The problem with the camelbak is that you end up with the wrong tube for the ride. Unless you have 3 camelbaks with 3 different tubes in them.
    However camelbaks tend to be expensive and my mrs. tends to get angry if I have 3 lying around the house.

I found its best if I can get the correct tube on the correct bike some how. Ie seatbag or whatever. I also make sure the correct tools are with the bike. (which does mean u need to have several sets of tools I admit)

So then you just need to take the bike and you have all the gear ready straight away.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

The problem with the camelbak is that you end up with the wrong tube for the ride. Unless you have 3 camelbaks with 3 different tubes in them.

Is it somehow easier to identify the ‘correct’ Camelbak than to identify the correctly-sized tube to pack? Surely marking/preparing the tubes with a white-marker or freezer bag w/label would be a cheaper option however you’re packing them? It really takes a matter of seconds* to pack a Camelbak or seatpack – the key is to have a checklist and stuff organised/labeled*

*I always faff about for ages because not remotely organised, and tools, tubes etc tend to wander.

**From experience I usually forget something.

Edit – second thoughts – the idea of a Batcave-like uber-setup with various bikes, each pre-packed with their own toolkits is a very attractive proposition!

scu98rkr
    Free Member

“would be a cheaper option “

The objective is not to be cheap the objective is to be quick.

Ie the tubes and all tools for the correct bag should already be packed.

Unless the tube has been used then it is changed at the end of a ride ready for the next ride.

In my case eventually I found it easier to have a saddle bag on each bike with the correct tube and tools constantly attached.

There is also a pump attached to each bike.

Its not a cheap option I admit.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Jersey pockets here. Have three jersey pocket sized cases, two for road and one for mtb. Don’t carry much more than co2, chainlink and a multitool for mtb.

Funny that people complain about not liking stuff in jersey pockets yet happily carry a massive pack on their backs. I guess it’s the big baggy enduro jersey thing.

rocketman
    Free Member

I always take a pack with me although I have sacked off the reservoir. I take one of those collapsible bottles instead

And off-road I refuse to push my bike anywhere. if it breaks I fix it. There’s a certain satisfaction about getting things working again using only what you have with you

kerley
    Free Member

My comment was aimed at Kerley FWIW, rather than GM. A multitool is a good idea, riding with nothing at all is asking for trouble IMO.

All depends what type of bike you ride, how well maintained it is and what sort of riding you do.

– Rigid single-speed
    – Meticulously maintained
    – XC

I haven’t had a mechanical in at least 10 years. The only thing that could have me walking home is a puncture (and when I used to use tubes I did carry a tube and CO2)

shifter
    Free Member

No-one said massive and I usually wear skinny xc jerseys for local rides. And baggy jerseys don’t have pockets…
    There are lots of these threads, we may as well be discussing Marmite.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Quick rides, don’t take anything, why would you ?

Unless your bike is poorly maintained and you ride in a way that makes you puncture prone

cokie

My hardtails have plenty of space to run a Alpkit medium fuel pod in the triangle- fixed to the TT and ST. This fits everything I need- multitool, tubless kit, tube, levers, mini pump, spare battery, phone and cash. Bag swaps between bikes in seconds.

My FS has no space to run the bag out the way so I fix a multitool to the back of the bottle cage, attach the mini pump to the side of the bottle cage, run a spare tube in the TT/DT gap and strap some levers to the CS. Phone and cash lives in pockets.

I run tubeless but always carry a tube for those ‘worst case’ rides. Both solutions are neat and I’ve not found that I need to carry more than this. I sometimes carry a bag for longer rides- food, layers, waterproof and more water.

warpcow
    Free Member

I like riding light, but, tbh, riding heavy is less faff. Put clothes on, stick mobile in bag, out the door. Even a short ride could see me having to walk 10-15km home from the farthest point too. I’ve done that once before, 12km because I’d used my spare tube and got another puncture, in SPD shoes, in midwinter, and refuse to do it again anytime soon. Patches wouldn’t seal because it was too cold.

ferrals
    Free Member

Riding with nothing is really nice, but I only do it in the local woods where its a max 20 minutes walk home (or racing of course). I used to ride with a camelbak all the time but after racing ‘cross I’m inclined to go for a bottle cage and spare tube approach for mid distance as not having a backpack on is nicer/less sweaty.

core

I have an old shoe box on the bench in my shed with all my ride ‘stuff’ in it, 26″, 29″, road tubes, multi tool, puncture kit, quicklinks, mech hanger, leatherman, phone dry bag, pumps etc.

I just grab whatever I want before I go (takes 30 seconds), either goes in camelback, just jersey pockets, on frame brackets, or saddle pack. if I’m going to a trail centre for a day, probably take all of it, in the box, together with my bike tool box, fair chance of fixing most mechanicals then and not losing much riding time, which is important to me when I might have driven an hour or two to get there. Same decision once I’m there then on what I shove in pockets/camelback, but as little as possible generally. Also gone back to riding with a bottle and as little water in camelback as possible, water’s bloody heavy, I’d rather not have it on my back.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Riding "lighter" – How?’ is closed to new replies.