Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Riding kit that doesn't cost the earth…?
  • Leigh2612
    Free Member

Morning guys and gals of STW…
    Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations for decent but not silly expensive kit?
    With a recent family expansion I probably won’t be spending £70 on shorts and £50 on a jersey for a while…! Or, ever again of I don’t need to.
    There must be some decent brands fluting under the TLD and Fox radar?
    Cheers!
    Leigh

scotroutes

DHB from Wiggle.
    Dare2B from wherever.
    Decathlon.

akira

Dhb, fwe etc, many shops have their own brand clothing these days that is pretty cheap and good quality.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

DHB chap

mikewsmith
    Free Member

pick the sales, most of my pricier kit lasts years.

Basil

I find a few hours on the internet can save much money on good quality items which last the longest.

PMK2060

+1 for DHB.

I also rate the planet x bibs, jerseys and socks for the money especially when on sale (very frequent).

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Cheers all! I should have clarified MTB stuff in the OP. Will check dhb, I have a couple of their road bits, will check for MTB on the site.

scruff9252

Decathlon. I swear by their stuff. All my running kit & cycling kit (bar shoes for both) are from decathlon and get heavy use. Very good for the price. Their pro line or whatever their called bib shorts are £35 and the same shorts FDJ cycling team use.

sing1etrack
    Sonor
    Free Member

pick the sales, most of my pricier kit lasts years.

Indeed, but I have had a pair of DHB 3/4 bib tights for about 8 years, and they are still going strong.

+1 for DHB

+1 also.

I don’t like the usual cycling Jerseys, so tend to go for stuff like this: District T-shirt.

Have a few of these, for everyday use and for the bike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

to add to the good kit lasts I’ve been riding stuff till it’s worn out and some of it’s taken 7 years with lots of riding. Gloves are a bit of a consumable but everything else just does it’s job.

rhayter

Check out CRC on a regular basis. They’re always flogging off good riding kit at discount.

MoreCashThanDash

Scotroutes covered my answer at the start.

Northwind

Decathlon has some really good stuff. My most worn “riding jerseys” are random sports kit from tk maxx and mountain warehouse though, tbh I do think the slightly more expensive Fox and Royal shirts I have are a bit better.

Altura Mayhem are superb shorts for £30- very hardwearing, good cut, work well with kneepads, lots of adjustment and that, even come with a removable chamois. Literally the only downer is that the front pockets lack zips. I’ve got 3 pairs, one of them is on its last legs but then I’ve been wearing them since 2009. You can definitely go cheaper but I think it’s worth it for these

mtbtom
    Free Member

It’s not bargain basement, but I still have a pair of Endura Humvee shorts that must be getting on for ten years old now. Really rate Endura, most of their kit (excluding gloves) lasts forever and is well designed.

As long as you’re not going for the latest Freeride, All-mountain, Enduro dayglo gear you don’t pay such a premium.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Work ware shorts. Using a pair of Dickie’s currently. Fast drying and durable.

tomd
    Free Member

Decathlon is a good bet. Not everything is amazing but they make some good stuff, with the advantage you can try it on and see what looks like it will last.

The £17 baggies I got from Decathlon last year have been the best, comfiest and most hard wearing shorts I’ve ever had. The detailing on them is superb too, cheap only in price.

joefm

CRC have sales on all the time so just keep an eye out. Also Endura stuff looks ok!

lunge

Decathlon is a great start, some of the Planet-X stuff is very good as well.

RustyMac

Take a look at the Scott clothing at start cycles.

http://startcycles.co.uk/sale.html

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Snide TLD moto’s on eBay are bang on.
    And I buy running tops from Nike outlet store, the dri-fit stuff is ace on the bike.

project
    Free Member

http://www.Sportsdirect.com/cycling and as above Decathlon, both do cheap stuff that lasts and is comfortable

tenacious_doug
    Free Member
    core

Aldi

kimbers

decathlon and scott sales at start cycles

cookeaa

My Cheap Riding kit tips:

DHB for Bib shorts and tights, Decathlon for cheap Jerseys (and shorts too), keep an eye on OO/PX and Aldi for cheap winter kit, arm/leg warmers, jackets, gloves etc (Especially out of season)….

Keep an eye on Start cycles they often discount Scott kit, you might get some nice cheap Baggies/tops/gloves for the MTB…

Oh and Cheap surplus goretex over-trousers from Ebay, chopped off at the knee for when the weather turns wet are also worth having IMO…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the other question for the OP is how often are you getting through kit?

dragon
    Free Member

DHB shorts and tops here for commuting. I prefer their shorts to their tops TBH. I think my nicer branded tops are better fitting on the whole. And if you don’t crash then tops last for ever, I’ve some from pre-2000 still going strong. Shorts do wear out though.

Oh and Helly Hansen base layers are ace, and probably worth paying around the £20-25 mark.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Riding kit that doesn't cost the earth…?’ is closed to new replies.