Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Riding Inverness to Perth
  • lovewookie

In a surprise move, the boss, who cycles occasionally, asked if I knew much about the trail from Inverness to Perth (runs partly down the side of the A9) as he thought it’d be a good route as a challenge for him and possibly some of the other staff.

anyone here done it? anything to note, other than it’s not going to be a mountainbike fest.

he was thinking one day, I’m thinking 2 days.

ta

kcal

one day is quite a challenge I’d have said, but doable esp. given longer hours of daylight. Not sure of the bits N of Aviemore but usual hiccups would be navigation.

“cycles occasionally” – alarm bells ring 🙂 It’s longer than you think when you normally just drive it (as I’m sure you know, but maybe he doesn’t).

Sustrans all the way or were you thinking off-roading it at all e.g. Gaick Pass?

chriswilk
    Free Member

N to S the Gaick is all tarmac on the climb and cuts out a lot of distance, can do the forest trails from Aviemore to Gaick to cut out more of the A9 dullness too.

bajsyckel

Not done it all in one go, but one (summer) day would be fine for most fit/ regular cyclists, two may be more enjoyable for occasional riders. You’re never far from the train if you need to bail out either way.

Nothing really to note if you follow the sustrans routes other than there are a few options to choose from in places, either traffic free or on road routes. Not sure how well signposted it all is nowadays, but most is pretty idiotproof in any case.

Gaick and Tromie is more direct (and a bit different but harder work normally) than Drumochter if you are fine with some easy off road. If you stick to the roadside then the hardest work is over the Slochd unless you get a horrendous headwind through Drumochter as there is no shelter.

geoffj

I keep meaning to do Aviemore to home (just North of Perth).
    Mmm – maybe book that day off in May 🙂

deejayen
    Free Member

I’ve done part of it when I cycled from Nairn to Pitlochry, I’ve also ridden a few other sections from Culloden, Moy, Tomatin, Carrbridge etc. There are a few wee hills – such as the one between Daviot and Moy, and after Tomatin. Depending on the time of year, there’s a likelihood of a headwind – avoid the Lands End to John O’ Groats record breaking season…

I rode it on a fixed wheel, which wasn’t ideal on the narrow ‘off-road’ sections, but it wasn’t too bad. I was able to make up time on the road, and just trundled along on the paths over Drumochter. On that occasion I cycled the back lanes through Cawdor, Grantown, Coylumbridge etc, and picked up the path at Ralia. It was 100 miles to Pitlochry. At the time I was used to riding audaxes, so was fine with that distance. However, it might be more enjoyable to split Inverness-Perth into two or more days, and have a few café breaks etc.

lovewookie

Thanks, wasn’t sure if it was the sustrans route or not. told him we’d need a ‘support’ vehicle in any case to deal with stragglers/repairs/food/moral support.

🙂

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

I ridden the other way but over 2 days,Perth to Braemar/Ballater over Glenshee, then to Inverness over the Lecht. We then aimed to get onto Cycle Route 7 from Tomintoul and followed that to Inverness. 140miles and about 8000ft+ of climbing.

highlandman
    Free Member

It’s a bit mucky and gritty to be comfortable on a proper road bike, better done on the likes of a cross bike or 29er with small semi slicks. Lots of grit trail Sustrans, plenty tar and as others have said, you can spice it up a bit with optional extras if you’re going mtb. Unless the whole group are pretty fit and experienced, trying to do it in a day could lead to problems as someone in a group is going to have a mechanical, run out of fuel or fall off. The more riders there are, the slower any group will go. Much better enjoy the run, have a night away and do it over two days.
    A wee footnote- the cake shop at Inshriach is awesome and an excellent reason to do the section after Aviemore on the back road to Ruthven Barracks and Newtonmore, not on the local road past Kincraig. The coffee machine at Ralia is not bad too but the best rocket fuel espresso on the route comes from Escape Route, the bike shop in Pitlochry. Enjoy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Riding Inverness to Perth’ is closed to new replies.