Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Riding in/from San Francisco
  • DaveRambo

We’re off to SF for the last 2 weeks of August and it seems mad to not sample a bit of riding as I doubt I’ll get another chance.

I’ll be taking my shoes with me – possibly pedals as well and a set of riding kit with a view to renting a bike out there. ( might buy some new kit while we’re there if it’s reasonable value)

We’re staying in SF for 7 days to start with and I have mentioned that I might head out for a day on my own so I think I have a pass.

Anyone ridden out there – hints for where to rent, people to guide/ride with etc welcomed.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Repack rider on here is your man.

Enjoy, im jealous!

organic355
    Free Member

Offroad or road?

Offroad – head over to Marin county, loads of trails. but watch out for mountain lions.

Road – Paradise loop. http://www.mapmyride.com/us/san-francisco-ca/paradise-loop-route-408760

DaveRambo

I was thinking off road – I had Marin county in mind but happy to be guided.

DaveRambo

Hmm

Mountain lions make that road loop look inviting.

scaredypants

go to google and put in
    site:singletrackworld.com
    followed by a space and then some suitable words – marin, Mt Tam, Francisco, …

There’s lots, mostly involving repackrider, who’s a bit of a mtb “name” and sounds like a good bloke

djflexure

Ride over the bridge to Marin, do some trails and catch the ferry back from Tiburon (there was a nice Mexican next to the jetty 15 years ago).

DaveRambo

Bump in case anyone else has any info.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

You can catch the ferry from downtown to Larkspur. Then fire your bike on the bus (they all have front mounted racks) to Fairfax. That gets you to Repack country. Stay on the bus to Point Reyes Station, speak to Mike at Black Mountain Cycles and he’ll sort you out with some trails.

keppoch

I rode at Camp Tamarancho near Fairfax when I went to SF at the end of a two week cycling holiday.

Certainly not the best riding of the trip but a fun blast in a good setting. We were quite fit and riding well by that point in the trip, it was funny to see the locals pushing themselves beyond their comfort zone on the descent as a pair of tourists threatened to catch them!

Don’t underestimate the time it will take you to get there from the city centre though.

China camp also seemed to get a number of mentions.

DaveRambo

That sounds like a plan.

Ta

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

Let me know when you’re coming. Yesterday a friend and I guided an English rider from London around a few local trails. Met him on another UK site.

DaveRambo

Thanks Charlie.

We’re coming over Sat 17th August – I expect I’ll be looking to ride midweek – it’ll be flexible once we’ve done some family stuff.

I’ll get in touch when we’re there to sort something out.
    I’m starting to get rather excited – Marin county and all the trails were the things of dreams back in the early 90’s. Hard to believe I’m actually going to ride the trails I read about and watched videos of.

🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Riding in/from San Francisco’ is closed to new replies.