Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Riding in wet & windy weather, struggling.
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’m struggling with riding in very windy conditions. I went out today and it was very blustery, 35mph+ wind speeds with strong gusts.

I dont mind riding into a head wind, but I’m finding it difficult to keep a good rhythm when its very blustery. I’ll be cycling along and get hit by a strong gust, thus losing alot of momentum. I usually just give up and put it in a piss easy gear and just spin along with a high cadence (normally dont spin very quickly, I prefer to push harder gears)

Does anyone else suffer with this affliction? Is it the norm to just **** it off and take it easy? It never feels like I’ve achieved much when I get home, I may aswell have gone for a pootle round the park.

postierich
    Free Member

Well done for even venturing out today!

Northwind

Wind is the enemy of fun… It can be invigorating but most of the time it’s just miserable.

yunki
    Free Member

Is it the norm to just **** it off and take it easy?

I do if the weather’s a bit shocking.. me against the elements type of thing.. but there’s usually a few points in the ride where there’s a powerful endorphin rush or enough shelter to get some real work done..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Well done for even venturing out today!

Haha, it was grim. I set off and it was pretty breezy but it was all cross winds or tail winds so I hammered it. Then on the return it was a blustery nightmare of a head wind, and then it chucked it down.

There seemed to be alot of people out round grizedale though, fair play to them!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Did 50 hard and hilly road miles with some of the guys today and at times over the tops in the White Peak it was evil – head wind, side wind – really hard work.

Still – we were up in the hills, you dry out from the rain and at some point or other the wind gets behind you. I agree though – it’s debilitating and I’m the same – stick it in an easy gear and just get through it. The bladed spokes on my Ksyriums weren’t much of a friend today either. 😯

We trotted up Gun Hill, as they’ll be doing in the ToB on Tuesday, so that was a nice bonus too. I’m sure it’s not the hardest hill around there though.

druidh
    Free Member

Rule #9

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I bet the Brecon Beast was atrocious today?

Been blowing a gale here all day can only imagine what it is like on top of the mountain 😯

dans160
    Free Member

The wind today was blowing right up the centre of the A-line, the final jump being to left and side on to the gusts That was fun. Not.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Did 50 hard and hilly road miles with some of the guys today and at times over the tops in the White Peak it was evil – head wind, side wind – really hard work.

Still – we were up in the hills, you dry out from the rain and at some point or other the wind gets behind you. I agree though – it’s debilitating and I’m the same – stick it in an easy gear and just get through it. The bladed spokes on my Ksyriums weren’t much of a friend today either

Glad I’m not the only one.

I think riding hills in the wind isnt too bad since you’re only going fairly slow anyway. Its the flats where it destroys me, as one minute you’re hammering along and the next second you’ve come to a standstill.

I should have done some hills instead, but I couldnt get motivate to head over wrynose, the wind is always a **** nightmare down the ulpha valley.

grtdkad

There have been a few occasions recently when an odd gust has nearly taken the bike out from under me or pulled my lid off the top of my head.
    Three hour ride yesterday mainly okay but at one point was stopped in my tracks by a head wind gust – up out of the saddle to maintain momentum !

Klunk
    Free Member

There have been a few occasions recently when an odd gust has nearly taken the bike out from under me or pulled my lid off the top of my head.

gaps in hedgerows get me like that everytime with high winds. I dislike crosswinds on the road more than headwinds.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

gaps in hedgerows get me like that everytime with high winds. I dislike crosswinds on the road more than headwinds

I dont mind the cross winds, it makes riding in a straight line more interesting I think.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I think riding hills in the wind isnt too bad since you’re only going fairly slow anyway.

You’ve clearly seen my climbing! 🙂

We got a few sheltered bits, but some of the long drags above Longnor were mighty hard going, and the crosswinds on the 40mph descents where it felt like the bike wanted to lift off the road were a little bit interesting.

At least we were out there in the fresh air, stretching our legs and not trawling round the supermarket. druidh has it spot on. Rule #9 indeed.

Jamie
    Free Member

Dammit. I was all chuffed about being a badass due to Rule 9, but I think breaking Rule 19 removes this new found badassery 🙁

rOcKeTdOg

Wind is a pain, i really object to having to pedal downhill just so u don’t stall 🙁

brooess
    Free Member

35mph is a killer. I wouldn’t beat yrself up about finding that hard.
    Cross winds are nastier.
    The only way to get round wind like that is either go out with a club so you get to hide from the wind once in a while.
    Or stick the bike on the rollers in the lounge 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Riding in wet & windy weather, struggling.’ is closed to new replies.