Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Riding in the rain
  • mjsmke

As this years summer has been particularly wet and riding in the rain has been hard to avoid, im just wondering what most of you are wearing? If im on a short ride i almost prefer no waterproof as i get too hot and my head and legs are gonna get wet anyway.

Now im thinking about getting out more often since i have 2 weeks off work but can’t decide if i want to buy a waterproof jacket.

What do you all wear in the rain?

GW
    Free Member

same as in the dry, my waterproof jacket rarely ever gets worn.

spchantler
    Free Member

mud and slug juice, with the odd smattering of dog shit, going for the natural look

patriotpro
    Free Member

GW – Member

Same as with jacket but do slap the waterproof shorts on.

Feel like boil in the bag with waterproof jacket on so only gets used to keep warm on Winter rides.

spchantler
    Free Member

what waterproof shorts? full waterproof? does anyone do a short thats just waterproof on the front of the thigh, for driving rain, and a panel at the back for that wet arse/wet sand mix?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Aim for warm rather than dry, most of the time if its wet for me that means a wind proof gillet, keeps the wind from ripping though damp cloths but does not over heat me.

mjsmke

So im not the only one who doesnt like wearing a waterproof jacket? Thats good, i thought i was just wierd.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I’m watching this with interest!

My only 2p is that WP jackets are for the depth of winter (or a short unexpected downpour in summer) and WP shorts can be used all year.

I’d second the cold thing.

does anyone do a short thats just waterproof on the front of the thigh

mmm… Endura / Altura does the exact opposite – waterproof rear.

donsimon
    Free Member

Cheap Decathlon waterproof, fits in a pocket, cost 10,00€ and getting hot is desired.

jmason
    Free Member

Decided to wear jogging bottoms yesterday, that was a mistake. Dont do that.

cheese@4p

I’m past caring about getting wet this year. After going stir crazy waiting for good weather I just go out in light gear and get soaked through.Sort of in defiance of the weather I suppose?

crush83
    Free Member

shorts and T-shirt and waterproof socks

Aidan
    Free Member

For a couple of hours? The same as if it’s not raining but with a waterproof jacket in case of trouble.

For an all-day ride? Waterproof jacket + waterproof shorts + moderating my effort a bit to avoid overheating.

mooman
    Free Member

Getting wet in summer isnt too bad.
    Getting wet in winter very often is a problem.

Nice snug fitting thicker top for wet summer rides.
    Simply avoid the winter wet rides.

jota180
    Free Member

Nothing much different at all, maybe a windproof

jonba
    Free Member

I don’t mind getting wet* so I wear what I need to stay warm which in summer is normally a windproof gillet on top of shorts and jersey. In winter it is harder to stay warm when wet but that is a different question.

I prefer lycra when it is really wet as it holds less water and doesn’t flap around. Close fitting clothes that don’t hold moisture are an image conscious substitute.

I’ve never warn waterproof shorts but do fit mudguards.

*There is no problem with being wet. Swimmers seem fine. What you need (IMO) is clothing that is going to be comfortable which normally means reducing windchill and chaffage.

njee20
    Free Member

+1, wear mine occasionally in the depths of winter, but in summer I just get wet. Maybe a gilet.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

i wear an ultralight packable thingy……barely waterproof but useful for showers and windier conditions and is fairly breathable too.

Its an Endura BTW

continuity
    Free Member

I have an old eVent jacket, so I wear that and it isn’t “boil in the bag”. Normal shorts, and my normal mavic alpine xl’s (which aren’t great for water but better than most.

I have a bender fender. I’ll get more mudguards for winter, but the only thing that bothers me is sodden feet, and there’s nothing I can do about that in these shoes apart from get sealskins socks.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

if riding from home, i’ll take a jacket with me,

if riding from car, waterproof shorts and jacket, so I can change easily into something that isn’t going to mucky up the inside of the car

rocketman
    Free Member

Have a look in TK Maxx they have a variety of multisport clothing.

I have a Trek Mates windshirt thing it packs down to the size of a wallet. It’s water-resistant but when it does get wet it gets wet like a wetsuit it’s not uncomfortable.

£10

davidjey
    Free Member

Gilets/armwarmers are my best friends for warm but wet conditions. Accept you’ll get wet but these keep off the worst/dry quickly if its showery, or in presistent rain act as an extra insulating layer for warmth/comfort even when they get wet.

At the risk of reigniting a classic STW argument, lycra/tighter fitting kit in general is way more comfortable in the mud/rain than anything baggy flapping around and picking up extra water/mud.

njee20
    Free Member

I have an old eVent jacket, so I wear that and it isn’t “boil in the bag”

IMO anything waterproof will have you sweating like a whore in church if it’s any more than mild outside, not really breathability so much as the lack of airflow.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Endura superlite shorts, and mudguards to keep my ass dry.
    jacket is too warm, but i do fancy a waterproof gillet for damp evening rides.

zippykona

I’ve just cut the legs off some old waterproof trousers.
    Waterproof shorts that are cheap,practical and above all stylish.
    Do I win a £5 voucher?
    I hate getting wet so always have my goretex jacket nearby. I find that you get a bit sweaty but then it sort of goes away. Wet equals cold.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Depends how hard i am riding…a bimble or recovery ride then i’ll wear a waterproof jacket because i wont be sweating too much.

Baws out ride then usually my regular gear plus a gilet and arm warmers or a windproof top. I still take a pocket waterproof jacket though incase i need to stop for whatever reason, can quickly get cold and miserable even in summer trying to fix a puncture in the pouring rain.

jojoA1
    Free Member

It really depends on the ride. A remote hill ride, even in summer could be dangerous if you were wet and had a mechanical. The body loses heat significantly more quickly wet than dry. Big remote rides I take a waterproof jkt & shorts and put on and off as often as needed. A faff, but safety first. I also take a spare base layer, socks and gloves if I think its going to be wet all day.
    Showery rides, I’ll wear a showerproof gilet armwarmers and just lycra legs as said above, dries faster and doesn’t chafe.
    Sometimes use altura semi-dry 3/4s if lots of ground water. They have a waterproof bum.

gt900uk
    Free Member

Have an endura jacket that becomes a gillet. Normally wear it like that in the summer as it keeps the worst off.

Winter is usually cool enough to wear the full jacket and i use leg warmers with seal skins on the lower half to keep feet dry.

Alway waterproof shorts when its wet as i hate have a soaking butt.

continuity
    Free Member

IMO anything waterproof will have you sweating like a whore in church if it’s any more than mild outside, not really breathability so much as the lack of airflow.

Breathability =/= airflow?

News to me!

mattjg
    Free Member

Trousers: army surplus Goretex over-trousers from ebay. £15-20 quid. Get > 1 pair, leave a pair full length and cut another down to 3/4 ish.

Light cheap simple waterproof breathable.

molgrips
    Free Member

North Face Apex outer shell, with an extra layer of insulation underneath. I don’t like wearing my waterproof as the mud erodes the fabric and ruins it.

If it’s proper biblical or particularly cold then I might wear it, also got some waterproof shorts but these usually only come out at 24 hour races. If I do choose to wear them then I use a front and rear mudguard, to keep the crap off the jackets.

Generally if it’s warm enough for sweating to be a real problem then it’s not cold enough for rain to be a real problem, I reckon.

Of course the advice re mountains is good – go prepared.

mjsmke

So is it not worth getting a cheapish waterproof jacket for this time of year?

chiefgrooveguru

Same as in the dry plus an Altura Pocket Rocket for when the combination of cold and wet gets too chilly.

WillC9999
    Free Member

Any cycling naturists out there?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Riding in the rain’ is closed to new replies.