Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Riding in the Purbecks?
  • Dudie
    Free Member

Afternoon

Got a family week away booked in the village of Worth Matravers outside Swanage in a couple of months. Wifey and I shall be taking our bikes. There look to be loads of bridleways in the area, so ample opportunity for some off-road pootling. Does anyone know of any particularly good bits we should make a point of investigating while there?

Thanks

simondbarnes

The Square & Compass is definitely worth investigating 😉

Plenty of people better placed to give route advice but on a warm, sunny day there is no better place to be 🙂

dovebiker

See if you can find the Dorset Gravel Dash route online or check out Charlie the Bikemonger in Swanage for route advice – toward Studland and Old Harry via the coastpath and you can carry onto the cafe on the beach

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Ride along the ridge between East Creech/Corfe castle/along to old Harrys
    over the back of Studland beach around Agglestone rock plenty of bridleways of ridge good on a cross bike around there do some cheeky coastal paths too. Wareham forest is ok to for a blast don’t bring to big traveled bike not worth it and you have some steep climbs in places lovely area.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Have an OS map? The bridle way that goes straight down to the right of Afflington wood is a nice little rocky chute. It’s basically opposite you if you’re on the road out of Worth Matravers. I also like the Purbeck Way down to Hill Bottom. Further afield, the wooded descents off Nine Barrow Down are good, as is Ballard Down to Old Harry.

tom200

It’s all good! Wiggle to a route that is pretty good mix of what’s available, should have Gpx on their website.

iain1775
    Free Member

Definitely spend time in the Square and Compass
    Great pub
    And go see Charlie in Swanage

Loads of great varied riding in Purbeck one of my favourite places to ride, the stuff around Studland Heath is really nice
    We usually have a cheap ‘£10 tokens from local paper’ caravan holiday down that way, not down there this year, going to South Wales instead

Here you go, straight from the doorstep – http://singletrackworld.com/trailguide/files/2008/12/isle-of-purbeck-big-route.pdf

ollybus
    Free Member

My wife and I followed this classic last route spring. The riding is sweet! http://singletrackworld.com/trailguide/uk/south-west/the-isle-of-purbeck/

flanagaj
    Free Member

Here is a route I mapped out. Great off road ride and goes straight past the Square & Compass.

Purbeck MTB route

Dudie
    Free Member

Brilliant! Thanks everyone. Plenty to go at (Especially looking forward to the Square & Compass)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Riding in the Purbecks?’ is closed to new replies.