Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • riding in the peaks at weekend
  • jaycmx1
    Free Member

gona ride in the peaks saturday for the first time.just got a route from last years what mountain bike.got to say im not the best map reader.the mag said trails are pretty well marked out.are they really or any suggestions/advice from any local riders

antigee

[pedant]if use a map you will find it helpful to find The Peak District[/pedant]

junctions etc are marked and i’d guess 50% of time sign says where a bridleway goes but is a bit random and if you miss something could result in a cold epic – i’d take a map or copy of mag article

antigee

oh and as mentioned in the “White Peaks” (Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!)
    thread – a lot of snow on the ground will slow you down – not been out this week but i’m sure someone will be along in a minute

matthew_h
    Free Member

We were out above Ladybower last night and the deep (knee deep and I’m 6’4″) snow made it very slow going. Anything not sloping pretty deeply downwards was incredibly difficult to make progress on.

Also meant that the trails and paths were very well hidden and navigation would not be the easiest for someone unfamiliar with the area.

matt_outandabout

Jay – what route?

carlos
    Free Member

Jaycmx1, Do you fancy some company?? I ride quite a bit round the Peak but not actualy been for a month or so??

Carl

goot
    Free Member

Wish I was out, but going on a walking weekend (sorry), staying in Hathersage.

So if you see a large ish group, loads of kids, Black lab and a patterdale terrier, say hi to the tall bloke checking out your bike !!

Will have hot choc with me… will swap for a go your bike !!

Simon

hopevalley

snowing in the peak now. . . . riding this weekend will be interesting!

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

nice one – im off for my first dusk/almost night ride tomoro! my light are a bit feeble so it’ll be interesting!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

if its snowing you wont need much light, aiming to get a ride in on saturday if anyones about and fancies an unfit ramble arroud the stanage/cannings/blacka moor area

jaycmx1
    Free Member

just got back from work thanks for all your advice.antigee and matt outandabout was gona buy the os for sheffield and huddersfield also got october 08 what mountain bike.theres three rides hard, medium and easy kinder suprise being hard.middle moor being medium and chinley churn being easy.all leaving from heyfield centre car park.heard alot of good things about the peaks and fancied giving it i try.carlos deffinatly up for some company if you know of any better or different routes with the snow it could be hard for a newbie as mentioned above.theres quite abit in rossendale where i live although it looked to have cleared abit since weekend just loads of ice

AndyPaice
    Free Member

“if its snowing you wont need much light, aiming to get a ride in on saturday if anyones about and fancies an unfit ramble arroud the stanage/cannings/blacka moor area “

possibly, just got a new brake that i need to bed in for sunday and not done blacka for a couple of weeks. shouldbe interesting in the snow 🙂

porterclough
    Free Member

was gona buy the os for sheffield and huddersfield

I’d go for the OL1 (dark peak) and OL24 (white peak) maps.

Houndkirk was great last weekend – for once the green laning 4×4 drivers had done a service by packing the snow nicely.

carlos
    Free Member

Ok cool, I’ve managed to borrow my mate bike as mines broke and he can’t be arsed this week. e-mail cpuptonataoldotcom

Carl

hopevalley

not snowing now – was raining quite hard – now it’s all turning to ice – weekend should be a blast!

jaycmx1
    Free Member

carlos send me an email pls so ive got yours its not sending.its jaycmx1@yahoo.co.uk

carlos
    Free Member

jaycmx1 – Member
    carlos send me an email pls so ive got yours its not sending.its jaycmx1@yahoo.co.uk

Done.

It ends co.uk not com 😕

Carl

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘riding in the peaks at weekend’ is closed to new replies.