Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Riding in the Peak district
  • freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

For all the wrong reasons (the funeral of a long time friend) we will find ourselves in the peak district (around Hathersage to be precise) next weekend.

assuming the weather is at all conducive, can anyone recommend a decent MTB trail that Mrs Fascist and I can take a look at. We won’t be riding the Gemmi pass any time soon but we’re decent enough technical riders if a little unfit after the winter fattening and Mrs F is recovering from a couple of months off the bike with minor back trouble, so we’re probably only looking for 30km. I’d sooner a backcountry trail (although I appreciate you can’t get very deep in the backcountry in 30km) although a nearby trail centre would be good, too

cheers

Onzadog
    Free Member

Which way is home after the ride?
    From how you des ribs things, 30km of peaks riding would be pretty severe.

Sherwood pines or cannock might do well I’d you’re heading that way.

MarkLG
    Free Member
    nickhart
    Free Member

If its a pootle you’re wanting why don’t you do a loop round the reservoirs, relatively lacking in gradient and not technical at all.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

way home is via Hull (ferry to Zebrugge)

ta for the ladybower link, I found another link to that trail, I’ll look it up

nickhart; not so much a pootle but a shorter ride, something like 30km / 5-700 m climbing.

grum
    Free Member

Won’t 30km in the Peaks generally mean at least 1000m of climbing?

endurogangster
    Free Member

the stanage edge ride in the ‘dark peak’ route book is great and only a mile or 2 from hathersage.

easyish climbs, good descents and should be fairly clean, with the exception of blacka plantation. 27 km so about right and you can push back up at the end for an extra descent.

LadyAlexMTB
    Free Member

+1 for Mark LG. Ladybower route (any variation) definitely would be my first choice and if you start from Bamford and go up the Aston way that is the next village to Hathersage.

I wouldnt recommend Sherwood Pines (flat, total mudfest, no view) over anything in the Peaks (not flat, pretty weatherproof, among best view in UK), but I guess it depends what sort of riding you like.

Enjoy!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Riding in the Peak district’ is closed to new replies.