Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Riding in the peak
  • JonBurns
    Free Member

I’m riding round Castleton in the Peak District on saturday and am just wondering about my tyre choice.

I’m currently running Maxxis Ignitors and find them pretty good but the last few muddy rides I’ve noticed them squirming around a fair bit in soggy mud.

So would I notice an increased improvement in changing to Medusa’s and the like?

and

Would I be best getting some mud tyres for this weekends ride or am I ok sticking with what I’ve got?

Ta,

will
    Free Member

Well…I run Maxxis ignitors and find them very good indeed, especially around the peaks, what width are yours?

Personally i think I’d stick with Ignitors.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

i run maxxis advantage and wtb motoraptors – good combo for the peaks,

swisstony
    Free Member

I ride there alot and i wouldn’t ride ignitors at the mo, summer maybe but for winter i have a swamp thing front and high roller rear

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

it was pretty muddy last weekend. i was fine on intense system4s (useless in mud) apart form the very slick first bit of rushup edge. personally i’d look for a tyre which gives good rock grip and put up with the muddy bits.

sofatester
    Free Member

Just ride with what youve got. Worry about it afterwards.

hopevalley

I ride in the Peak at least twice a week and have been running Specialized Fast Trak Pro’s (2.1) but really hard – 60psi? they cut through the thick stuff but offer enough on the looser climbs. they are a bit iffy on the real rocky stuff. loads better than the semi’s i tried a couple of months ago 1.7’s – thinking skinny tyres would cut through the mud – 2 detached ribs, an inflamed sternum and serious back bruising made me think other wise . . .

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

sounds nasty hopevally! where did you have the ‘moment’?

jimmy

2.1 Trailrakers. Job done.

Pinkstiffee
    Free Member

Motoraptors here also.

Bloody muddy last night though around Stanage Pole! As long as your tyres are reasonably aggressive and have reasonably wide spaced blocks you should be fine. No point going for full muds, too rocky in the Peak for that.

Matt

Pook

i was out on Panaracer Fire XCs done up nice and hard. Worked just fine

therealhoops
    Free Member

Conti Verts always work well in the Peak. Conti Slash for when it’s really gluppy but they drag like a bitch on the road.

fantom
    Free Member

was up there last week. mostly well drained, especially “the beast” :-), so full mud treads rarely needed (imo), I use specialized pro 2.1…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Riding in the peak’ is closed to new replies.