Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • riding in the mud is just crap
  • pinkyponk
    Free Member

Seems at this time of year every time you pic a mtb publication, you are hit with titles such as ” Your best winter ever ” or “riding in the mud improves your skills and is more fun than summer “

Bollocks.

Been to my local spot this morning, i am not a fair weather rider, i ride year round. It was axle deep in some places, slippery roots and rocks as far as the eye can see, and its just crap.

2hrs riding, 2 hrs cleaning the bike and the dog.

roll on the spring and dry trails.

rant over.

robdob
    Free Member

+1

I hate riding in mud. It’s rubbish

philconsequence
    Free Member

dislike the first 20 minutes whilst i find my groove.

LOVE the rest of the ride, back wheel sliding all over the place, puddles everywhere… great fun!

avdave2

I’m doing it every day at the moment.It takes me 10-15 minutes longer to get to work and last nights ride home was fun, I’m sure my front wheel was going sideways a lot of the time.

Hub gears or single speed are the way to go in the mud.

rickon
    Free Member

Should have been at the first Welsh XC series race – it was mainly a run, then they lost the results!

Not a good start for the Welsh XC scene.

I’ll be at the next two races mind.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

Went for a lap of the local forest route on saturday morning after we had quite a big storm on friday night, axle deep in mud made it almost impossible keep any speed up and then when you got to a section that had been “properly built” it had mostly gave way and washed away so it was like riding in the middle of a river

2 hours riding for a route that should take no more than 90mins and i think i shortened my drivetrain / brake life by several months! haha

z1ppy

FFS, MTFU or go play indoor bowls!

Mud lets you appreciate those lovely dry summer trails, mud improves your balancing skills & fitness.
    Stop whining.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Mud’s fine by me but I am looking forward to some time on drier, faster trails. We had a taste of that a week or so back when the rain held off for nearly a fortnight.

clubber
    Free Member

I still enjoy it – it’s still bike riding, innit?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Road bikes and Turbo trainers FTW!

clubber
    Free Member

FTW maybe. Not for the fun 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Actually incorrect, turbo training (HIIT) is a real buzz IMO.

I went out on the MTB on Sunday, literally forced myself out in the rain whilst occasionally enjoyable overall it was **** shit.

Going over the bars into a hawthorn bush did not help.

joolsburger
    Free Member

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I don’t like being bogged down by mud. I quite enjoy slipperiness on moderate downhills. But steep slippery trails frighten me.

I’d probably enjoy it more if I used proper off-season tyres.

Northwind

Slogging through deep mud on XC routes is just unpleasant hard work but a muddy descent can be fantastic, the mini dh at innerleithen was like that at the weekend, some parts were pretty damn slimy (and the course constantly evolving too due to the wet) and it was great fun. Bit difficult, and a bit scary at times but getting used to being a wee bit out of control is definately a useful thing for riding.

ollie
    Free Member

Did HTN last weekend, Mud everywhere, Bike dead. Loved every minute of It.

grumm
    Free Member

Not into mud, also not into **** up the trails.

molgrips
    Free Member

I also hate riding in mud. However it’s better than not riding at all 🙂

And you can mitigate it depending on where you live. In winter I choose certain areas that are more rocky and less gloopy, greasy or claggy.

To be honest, a lot of it is the way it messes up my bike. Perhaps a belt driven Rohloff hardtail is in order 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

grumm

Not into mud, also not into **** up the trails.

don’t ride at all then? surely any corrosion be it by foot, paw, hoof, tyre or weather is bad for the trails…

😕

ahwiles
    Free Member

aye, riding in the wet/cold/mud/winter/etc. is rubbish.

so for 3ish months over winter i mostly don’t really ride the mountain bike, and re-discover my love of road riding, swimming, running, bouldering, diy, reading a book, messing around with the gheetar, catching up with old friends, etc, etc.

if life offers you a cup of cold sick, say ‘no thanks’.

neninja
    Free Member

The level of enjoyment all depends on the sort of mud.

Had some great rides this week in loose and slippery mud – lots of sideways action and a few proper sphincter tightening moments on muddy descents.

Not so much fun though the week before. Had to carry the bike through 3 fields of sticky clay mud which locked both wheels solid and made riding impossible. Got to the other side seeing the funny side with both feet looking like the elephant hidden by huge balls of clay.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

i dont mind the mud when im riding it is the clean up afterwards,

even the road bike at this time of year, needing to clean it after every ride to get rid of all the corrosive shite, bring on the spring and summer and the simple of joy of being able to put the bike in the garage straight after a ride!

GW
    Free Member

I love riding proper mud

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“**** up the trails.”

Yeah I generally leave it to hikers to do that 🙁 They persist in going around puddles and boggy bits instead of going straight through or avoiding those trails completely. We could do with more rocky trails around here. I’m hoping this will help:

The Mendip Hills AONB Unit is taking positive action to manage Black Down and Burrington Ham to achieve a balance between protecting the site and ensuring people can continue to enjoy it.
    In the last year the AONB Unit has consulted with a wide range of site users and organisations, completed a study on repair and restoration of paths on Black Down and Burrington Ham and produced an Archaeological Management Plan for the site. In November an application was submitted to the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) for a grant of £290,300 for a three-year project entitled “Conserving Black Down”.

The grant, if awarded, will fund:
    A programme of path repair and erosion works;
    • Interpretation and information for visitors;
    • Community involvement;
    • A project officer for 3 years.

The AONB Partnership must contribute of £50,000 in cash support and coordinate £48,000 of in-kind support through volunteer time.
    The HLF decision will be known in March 2011.

grumm
    Free Member

don’t ride at all then? surely any corrosion be it by foot, paw, hoof, tyre or weather is bad for the trails…

Yeah but normally the effect is pretty minimal. I’ve seen paths get messed up pretty badly very quickly when they’re muddy.

atlaz
    Free Member

Plus dogs don’t drag their back brakes all the way down a muddy slope, cutting it up and making it worse with every passing dog. Not that all MTBers do that, but enough do. Well, the brakes and wheels thing, not using dogs to slow them down.

coastkid
    Free Member

Prefer a sunny winters day on the beach 😮

083 by coastkid71, on Flickr

philconsequence
    Free Member

so its not normal to drag a dog down a trail as a back brake?

perhaps i do need that jedi training day sooner rather than i thought 😯

chakaping
    Free Member

So in summary: It can be crap, but sometimes it’s fun.

And you can’t say it’s crap or you’re not a proper mountain biker.

grumm
    Free Member

What tyres for dragging a dog down a muddy slope?

carbon337
    Free Member

lee – would that be thunton by any chance?

IdleJon

z1ppy – Member
    FFS, MTFU or go play indoor bowls!

Mud lets you appreciate those lovely dry summer trails, mud improves your balancing skills & fitness.
    Stop whining.

I’m guessing that you live in the SE of England, not somewhere with proper weather like Wales. 😆

The last time I saw a dry dusty trail was last May/early June, 8 or 9 months ago!

Most of us down here just get on with the riding through the year – if we waited for ‘lovely dry summer trails’ we’d never ride.

z1ppy

nope, W. Mids (just over the border really), so we get your left over weather… I’ve been to Wales plenty of times (it my favorite place to ride) and ridden on dusty track, so don’t give me that rubbish 😉

IdleJon

so we get your left over weather

Exactly – we get the rain, you get the ummmmmm, ‘not rain’! 😀

I’ve been to Wales plenty of times (it my favorite place to ride) and ridden on dusty track, so don’t give me that rubbish

I don’t think MTBs had got to Wales in 1976, the last occasion of a dusty trail.

z1ppy

well you do a might damned fine job of keep the rain off the midland then, we appreciate your efforts! 😆

singlespeedstu

Just for IdleJon a bit of sun in Wales isn’t it. 😉

2010_0627rhayadersunnyweekend0012 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

2010_0627rhayadersunnyweekend0006 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

‘Tis quite rare though.

IdleJon

Thank you singlespeedstu. I remember days like that from my childhood!

On a serious note, which route around Rhayader was that? I’ll be riding up there in a few weeks with a few friends and we are trying to find the best trails..

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Love mud. Going out to look for some in half an hour.

singlespeedstu

The first pic is above Garreg Ddu and the second pic is climbing the golf links.

Some fantastic routes round there. 😀

If you follow the singletrack in the first pic you get to ride down this.

It’s **** steep at the top. 😯

Freemincinglite by sheldonattwood, on Flickr

pinkyponk
    Free Member

carbon337 – yeah buddy. was that you reading the paper instead of riding your bike ? im gonna try rothbury tomorrow

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘riding in the mud is just crap’ is closed to new replies.