Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Riding in the Malverns
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m off to Malvern with the wife and the outlaws in October, I’ve been granted permission to take my bike (how sweet) and been told I can get 3 rides in over the week.

Now should I take my MTB of my road sled? And where do I ride?

Any locals wanna give me some clues or route please.

Trimix
    Free Member

MTB for the win.

Try an early morning ride along the entire length of the Malvern hills, really nice ride. But do it early to avoid the hordes of walkers. After that you can do the bridleways around the bottom of it. Any OS map will show you loads of stuff.

jimw
    Free Member

this is a reasonable staring point:

http://www.mbr.co.uk/routes/gps-route-malvern-hills/

or even this!
    http://singletrackworld.com/trailguide/uk/south-west/the-malvern-hills/

But as above. If it is mid week, the trails are much quieter, on a good weather weekend, before 10 and after 4 is best

firepoiboy

Both are fun but a hardtail along the entire length would get my vote, and yes early or dinner time to avoid walkers.

For a route, start at the clock tower and head south, always choose up at a junction and you should see the best, there are a few cheeky paths that you’ll miss but if you have three rides ,mix it up a little. There is a route along the top and paths on both sides, only a few have definite “no bikes” signs. I usually get as far as gullet quarry after the fortified hill of British Camp, before making my way back to the clock tower.

Have fun

mboy
    Free Member

Hi Steve

Bring either/or/both, you’ll have fun any which way.

Can take you out for a ride on either if you wanted… But so can many others.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Cheers guys, hard tail wagon wheeler it is.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Mboy – may well take you up on that if you promise not to ride my legs off.

mboy
    Free Member

Drop me an email mate…

What weekend you coming down?

pedlad

There’s plenty of good stuff away from the crowds too – you’d be best off with a local to find it but you can head down to gullet quarry/midsummer hill end if it’s peak walkers times or want a bit more technical stuff. Other good spot locally is over the back of ledbury around Frith and Coneygree woods.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Any gpx routes anywhere that I can just bung in my garmin & go?

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

I would definitely go with a guided tour from a kindly local like mboy if you can get one arranged. Lots and lots and lots and lots of brilliant trails here, but I have known people come to Malvern, ride nothing but wide gravel paths and moan that it’s dull because they just didn’t find the decent stuff.

mboy
    Free Member

What the bunny girl says!

Also, whilst I know Malvern a reasonable bit, she can show you some awesome routes!

Also, Malvern is an ace place for a road bike ride too… So bring all your bikes with you! 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Riding in the Malverns’ is closed to new replies.