Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Riding in The Alps (road bike stuff)
  • Andy-W
    Free Member

Anyone done any road riding in the Alps around Bourg-Saint-Maurice,

Just in the thinking stages of planning a few days riding around that area and would be nice for a few top tips for a cheap as chips few days away

The plan is to ride up the Col de l’Iseran from Bourg and then other half and full day rides.

Not too fussed about the organised tour people as they seem to cost a bloody packet, thinking about cheap place to stay thats ok with bikes and a few ideas for routes and stuff (garmin/gps stuff)

And also whats the deal with the trains that run into Bourg , i know in the winter they are good with all your ski gear but not sure in the summer and bikes

Or just drive down and then i have the option to drive around and find the better riding and weather

And i guess if im lucky the Col de l’Iseran should be open late july for the next eight to en weeks or so

Cheers

Andy

jameso

The climbs up to the Cornet Roseland and St Bernard are good, the Roseland is tougher from that side though. Also the climb up to Les Arcs 2000 is a good warm up climb, not too bad at all. Turning them into loops rather than out and backs may be trickier or just mean longer days over 2 cols or more – but they’ll be great rides.
    The Iseran from B-s-M is a monster, goes steadily uphill for 50km I think, you feel like you’ve done a long draggy climb before you’re at the start of the actual Iseran. I was in a minor state at the top of that a couple of years ago ) The descent down the other side is a must-do, the top section is probably the fastest I’ve been on a bike. Should be open mid-July, be suprised if not.

souldrummer
    Free Member

I spent a couple of holidays at Tignes Le Breveiere (sp?) and rode the Iseran from there and it was pretty hard work. We saw loads of riders doing it from Bourg but a lot of those were local and seemed to do it as a club run!! The climb out of Bourg as much tougher than the bits from Tignes. We also did the Roseland which seemed endless with some shocking road surfaces. Petit St Bernard is a nice climb to the village below the col but then you never feel you are going to get to the actual col!!

If you have transport you can get to a load more climbs in the area.

DavidB
    Free Member

Here are two loops for you to consider:-

BSM up the Petit St Bernard then down about 2/3 of the way then across to St Foy then up to Tignes (or the Iseran if feeling fit) then back down to BSM

BSM Les arcs then across to base of LA Plagne, up t La Plagne, down into valley then cross over and climb again up other side before descending into BSM at the far end of the town.

Both ace loops I did a few years back.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Loft hostel in Bourg is quite pleasant and has somewhere to keep your bikes. There was a group of skinny young lads using it as a base for road rides when we were staying there riding MTB.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Riding in The Alps (road bike stuff)’ is closed to new replies.