Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • Riding in T-shirts. The new niche?
  • peterfile
    Free Member

Why do you assume that? I teach IT, but I don’t work in IT.

hmmmm, let me weigh up the evidence:

You are wearing spectacles
    You have a beard
    You are wearing a stripy shirt on a bicycle
    Your bicycle seems to have some form of shopping basket on the front
    You took a photo of yourself riding your shopper in a shirt and posted on an internet forum

😆

miketually
    Free Member

That just proves that I’m awesome 🙂

GEDA
    Free Member

What a bizarre thread. Synthetics give me nipple rub, merino is just as sweaty as cotton except you start to smell of sheep. Who cares if people wear t-shirts? It is really not a big deal.

peterfile
    Free Member

I mean, I know someone who worked in Hygiene who made a fortune and is quite wealthy, but also people who work in Law, who are scraping by. Funny, the significance we attach to professional fields, innit?

Useful anecdote.

Someone who is bright, motivated and useful will carve out a good career doing anything. The difference is that to get to a reasonable position in any of the professions you generally have to show those characteristics as a bare minimum from when you start exams at 16 onwards. You have to attain a certain standard just be let through the front door, and that standard is above the general average (unless you go to an utterly useless university i suppose).

The professions attract a higher percentage of those people because when you are young you don’t think “oh, i’ve got a great idea that’s going to make me really successful in the world of hygiene”. You pick a career path that is most likely to challenge you and allow to you realise your potential.

Some of the most successful people I know never set foot inside a university, but they are hardly representative of the population as a whole. They would have succeeded not matter what they chose to do.

I think many university courses are unnecessarily long, law for example, and that people would benefit from time in industry (doesn’t have to be law) before commencing a shorter and more intensive course (like the way the GDL is structured). This would allow people who have a good all round aptitude to qualify into the profession with less fuss. At the moment there are a lot of black letter lawyers (not as racist as it sounds!) who are technically excellent, but lack business acumen. However many people don’t bother with law as a second career because it is long, expensive and takes ages to get into a position of any influence. Big ticket commercial law needs a balance of the geeks to draft the tricky clauses and people who can actually understand what is trying to be achieved overall. The number of people who are equally gifted at both is quite low.

RealMan
    Free Member

I think many university courses are unnecessarily long, law for example, and that people would benefit from time in industry (doesn’t have to be law) before commencing a shorter and more intensive course (like the way the GDL is structured). This would allow people who have a good all round aptitude to qualify into the profession with less fuss. At the moment there are a lot of black letter lawyers (not as racist as it sounds!) who are technically excellent, but lack business acumen. However many people don’t bother with law as a second career because it is long, expensive and takes ages to get into a position of any influence. Big ticket commercial law needs a balance of the geeks to draft the tricky clauses and people who can actually understand what is trying to be achieved overall. The number of people who are equally gifted at both is quite low.

So you’re against riding in t shirts…?

peterfile
    Free Member

So you’re against riding in t shirts…?

Pay attention, i said AGES ago that I ride in a t-shirt 😆

Also, your input in this thread is irrelevant, you wear a King of the Mountains jersey 😉

loco_pollo
    Free Member

People have started riding in t-shirts in order to look less like pro riders; the pros were fed up of being chased down and dropped (?) by middle aged STWers on rigid 29ers, which is why they are going low-key.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

But then there are also some lawyers who choose particular legal fields over other, more lucrative ones. Such as Education Law for example. Such conscientious types are rare, I know.

Then there’s IT and there’s IT. There’s developing the next GoggleTwitFace, and there’s fixing non-techy people’s PCs for a few quid, or unlocking mobile ‘phones. Probbly more people getting rich doing the latter, I’d say…

And in Design; there’s me, what is proper talented and passionate, and there’s Wolf Olins, who done the Olympic Logo. They charge more than me, and they produce utter poop. 😀

RealMan
    Free Member

Also, your input in this thread is irrelevant, you wear a King of the Mountains jersey

But I did wear a t shirt underneath it promise.

peterfile
    Free Member

But then there are also some lawyers who choose particular legal fields over other, more lucrative ones. Such as Education Law for example. Such conscientious types are rare, I know.

Everyone starts out at law school with great ambitions of becoming a top flight civil rights lawyer, criminal litigator or generally doing good with their legal skills.

Problem is, once you’ve clocked up a fair bit of debt, all the big commercial/corporate firms pop along and offer you 3 times the money for a far sexier job. At law school it is immensely attractive to work for a big firm doing huge deals. However, when you actually get there, you realise that you’ve just sold your soul to the highest bidder 😈 They need the most intelligent people, but they also need people who will just taking a good beasting and not grumble. Free thinking individuals need not apply 😆

I quite like my area of law, it’s quite noble compared to most other areas of corporate/commerical law. Deals last for years so I get to know the client businesses well, it’s huge money (rarely short of £1bn), and almost of all it’s tangible and (generally) for the public good. In recent years i’ve done the legals for the Olympics, Commonwealth Games, High Speed Rail (both here and abroad), hospitals, schools etc

ridingscared
    Free Member

Nobody has mentioned the real reason for riding in a t-shirt – ‘ how else do I let people know I saw Iron Maiden /GG Allin/Boyzone (delete as appropriate) on the 95 comeback tour’?

And that striped shirt, shopping basket shot couldn’t say ‘teacher’ more if it was tattooed visibly.

emsz
    Free Member

I got a puncture today. Was it because I was wearing a tee?

TheBrick
    Free Member

I just remembered, during very hot weather I wear a sleeveless cotton t-shirt, and sometimes wife beat when riding my bike!

The shame!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yeah OK I do wear a T if I cycle to the shops on my rat bike. Honestly, if it’s more than an hours ride, and particularly if wearing a pack, I find cotton T’s gross. And if I have to put a jacket on, really gross.

Given my little pronounced belly and sweatyness (Sexy I know, but I am in my 40s now), I’m not terribly keen on tight-fitting either. So normal fit or slightly loose breathable non-absorbing synthetics are just the ticket. I’m not hung-up on cycle specific, but I do like the feel of my 3/4 sleeve Enduro burner top, to the extent that I wear it off the bike too.

Sorry if I came across grumpy earlier. I’ve been for ride (in a synthetic T) and feel better now. 🙂

toby1

I ride in a t-shirt (and usually a merino base), I’m now doubting every cycling mile I’ve ever ridden, they could all have been better in something that dries quickily but smells like rotting flesh whilst also being just a little too tight fitting to my less than perfect physique ….

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Just back from a nice bike ride; I wore a cotton T-shirt, non-bike-specific shorts, cotton underpants, and sandals.

And I survived! 🙂

I’m currently negotiating book and film rights with various publishers and production companies, who want to bring the story of my horrific ordeal to the masses.

I’m a survivor,
    I’m not gonna give up,
    I’m not gon’ stop,
    I’m gonna work harder,
    I’m a survivor,
    I’m gonna make it,
    I will survive ,
    Keep on survivin’,
    I’m a survivor,
    I’m not gonna give up,
    I’m not gon’ stop,
    I’m gonna work harder,
    I’m a survivor ,
    I’m gonna make it,
    I will survive,
    Keep on survivin’.

I’m too bootylicious for you, Baby.

X

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think we should form a support group for those of us what wear cotton T-shirts.

My name’s Elfin, and I like to wear cotton next to my skin. 😳

There. I’ve said it.

I feel somewhat liberated. Now, where are those cheap nylon knickers…?

emsz
    Free Member

Now, where are those cheap nylon knickers…?

yeuch, cotton knickers every time

molgrips
    Free Member

Just back from a nice bike ride; I wore a cotton T-shirt, non-bike-specific shorts, cotton underpants, and sandals.

Yeah but your rides are all cruising the urban jungle of Docklands on a fixie with too narrow bars, aren’t they?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

……….and sandals.

Wearing sandals on a proper bike ride is even dafter than wearing a tee shirt.

Still, it’s your toes you’re gonna muller and mash up, and the sight of you in sandals does make me chuckle.
    Were you also riding that bike of yours with a shopping bag on the handle bars off-road ?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Useful anecdote.

Where?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Were you also riding that bike of yours with a shopping bag on the handle bars off-road ?

🙂

Yes. 😳

Yeah but your rides are all cruising the urban jungle of Docklands on a fixie with too narrow bars, aren’t they?

Wash your mouth out Mol. 😡

juiced
    Free Member

i’ve just come back from the bmx track. I wore a dh race top BUT wore my t over the top in the car on the way home.Am I rad? Do I look like a pro?

ncfenwick
    Free Member

What next, people wearing baggy shorts….?

shindiggy
    Free Member

Errr. I have only ever worn t-shirts whilst riding.

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Riding in T-shirts. The new niche?’ is closed to new replies.