Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Riding in snow
  • HaydPD
    Free Member

My mate and I are on a course with Ed Oxley tomorrow in Gisburn Forest.

It’s snowing here now and forecast to continue thru tomorrow. What tyre pressures should we go for?

neilwheel
    Free Member

Let’s start at the beginning………………….. What wheel size?

Bregante

God help you if it’s 650b

scotroutes

8-10psi should be fine, though I tend to run a wee bit harder – around 12psi today.

kimbers

Oven mitts are cool

scotroutes

No – they’re very warm 🙂

HaydPD
    Free Member

I’m on a 26er and my mate is on one of those new fangled 29ers

ian martin
    Free Member

4″ and under is fantastic fun! Fnar Fnar!

jedi

i ride in the snow but i’d ask if the session is still on eh?

HaydPD
    Free Member

Yeah the nice lady where we’re staying spoke to Ed earlier and we’re on apparently.

matt_outandabout

What de_icer for beards?

rOcKeTdOg

I’d just let a few psi out and see how you go, you can always adjust to suit.

boxelder

If only there was someone there who might know about such things. Wise men usually have beards – anyone fitting the description?

globalti
    Free Member

You should increase your tyre pressures not reduce them and fit narrower tyres if you have them. You want the highest ground pressure possible so that the tyre cuts down through the snow and grips. Why do you think proper Land Rovers and winter rally cars have narrow tyres?

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

Thats what i thought, but what about fat bikes.

duncancallum

its dependent on how deep.

Shallow you want to cut through

Deep you want to float on top

chiefgrooveguru

You should increase your tyre pressures not reduce them and fit narrower tyres if you have them. You want the highest ground pressure possible so that the tyre cuts down through the snow and grips. Why do you think proper Land Rovers and winter rally cars have narrow tyres?

Cars have lots of power. Humans don’t so bikes should always try to float on top of snow (that’s deeper than about an inch) with wide tyres and low psi. If you’re average weight I’d be running about 15psi on decent size MTB tyres.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Its not the arctic up there for goodness sake, just stick with what you have now. Half the time you’ll be listening to him and watching other people anyway 😉

ampthill

Well I’d ask Ed. I’m sure its part of the service

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Riding in snow’ is closed to new replies.