Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Riding in Pembrokeshire
  • Littleman
    Free Member

Me and the ladyfriend are going down to Pembrokeshire (St David's ish) for some sea kayaking and biking next week, and I was wandering if any of you out there know of any good riding round that area? I know there's Brechfa which we will more than likely do, but I wouldn't mind trying out some nice natural stuff if there is any. The more technical singletrack the better.(Obviously).

Any help / advice appreciated!

Thanks

geoffj

There's a bit on the Preseli hills, but that's about it.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I'm gonna be up that way in September and was gonna ask the same question. Does anyone have any gpx files for some local singletrack? Doesn't have to be too tech as my wife will be coming.

hitman
    Free Member

Not a lot! Some cheeky trails about which are good fun and some other places best not to ride which are very good but only really at night and/or in the winter 😉 Some ok trails around the Preselis.

Make sure you ride Brechfa – well worth it, although can take a bit of getting used to. Also worth stopping at nant-y-arian and Mccynlleth on yr way down.

If I'm around next week, I may be up for a ride – post if you want someone to show you the preseli route 🙂

brassneck

The Preseli ridge is lovely in a proper out in the mountains sort of way, but I've not come across any technical singletracky stuff if thats what you're looking for.

Lovely place to go though, I'm jealous already. My 2 weeks was used up back in May 🙁

Mal-ec
    Free Member

You local then Hitman?

hitman
    Free Member

Yeah, based in sunny west Wales

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Me too. North Pembs. Sunny isn't it 😀
    You up for a ride/nightride sometime then?
    Are you doing the Brechfa Enduro?

hitman
    Free Member

Mal-ec
    yeah, but….. managed to do my back in yesterday stupidly trying to free seized carbon seatpost from alu frame 😳
    thought I was going to be ok, but today in agony, so don't think I'll be riding for at least a week
    will be up for night riding come sept/oct – never really ridden proper off-road at night, so keen to give it a go 🙂

lister

I was walking on the preselis today…ain't going to be ANY cycling on those hills this summer…standing water in the usual dry bits and the bogs have tripled in size. Fingers crossed for a cold winter so it'll freeze!

Other wise you haven't got many choices…round where I work in Stackpole (south of Pembroke) there are 2 woods owned by the NT which have permissive trails for bikes in them, we take kids cycling there and it's good for intro sessions, unfortunately most of the trails are deep in mud at the mo, and we have some REALLY thoughtless horse riders round here.

ALso you can have a little play on the bridleways and lanes round Strumble Head…go down to the lighthouse for some whale watching. Park in Mathry so you can finish with a pint. 🙂

Mal-ec and hitman, fancy meeting up for a ride in one of the shit parts of our lovely county?

hitman
    Free Member

Yeah 🙂

lister

email is in me profile…i want to know where these cheeky trails are, unless it's the obvious one with the wet landing if you leave the trail
    😉

vdubber67
    Free Member

Spent a week near Haverford a couple of months back. Have to say the Preselis are a little disappointing (I think I was expecting the Peaks or something!)

The ridge line is boggy as hell, isn't actually a trail per se, just a grass path. I put something together including the ridge line and some of the bridleways to the west of the ridge which was OK for a 4 hour outing though.

If you've got a road bike, take that. Lovely sweeping coastal roads with some great little climbs out of the coast villages (eg Newgale)

Taking mountain biking out of the equation though, and Pembrokeshire is bloody lovely! 🙂

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Indeed.
    Lets get something organized then. Ride + pint sometime?

hitman
    Free Member

definitely, will email Lister and take it from there 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Second the road riding round there. Muy folks live just north of Cardigan (so in Ceredigion, not Pembs), but I've ridden round there a few times, including the Tour of Pembrokeshire sportive last year.

Great part of the world.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

I've mailed you Matt as well.
    I'm sure between us we can come up with some decent local rides that don't end up in hub deep mud or blackthorn + bramble filled ditches disguised as bridleways.

lister

really? 😉

i'll check me mail folks.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Riding in Pembrokeshire’ is closed to new replies.