Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Riding in Northumberland.
  • MartynS

Thinking about having 5-7 days at the end of September up in Northumberland.
    Almost certainly going to camp so so looking for suggestions of where to base ourselves to get 3-4 rides done.

Any thoughts/suggestions gratefully received

Ta in advance

joemmo
    Free Member

What kind of riding are you after? If you’re after a mix of coast and hills then maybe look around Wooler area, more hilly then Rothbury area. There’s also Kielder if you want some forest, lake, gravely, trails but scenery isn’t as varied IMHO.
    Could also look in the south West around Hexham and Haltwhistle for easier access to the north pennines.

If I was going to pick one spot where you’ll get to see some of the best of the county then I’d go for Wooler.

MartynS

We mostly ride in the peak, 15-25ish miles. Natural stuff, not really into trail centres*, or “sessioning” stuff.

*dont mind as a once on a while ride, but wouldn’t want it all to be trail centre stuff!

hodgynd
    Free Member

Upper Coquetdale is a better bet than Wooler for riding ..loads of routes starting out of Alwinton
    Clennell Hall is a great spot for camping ..( just outside of Alwinton ) ..expect remote though with the nearest village being Rothbury .
    The Rose & Thistle is a cracking pub in Alwinton itself ..
    Although an old publication Derek Purdys Mountain Biking Northumberland will give you a good choice of routes in that area and there’s some cracking riding on the border ridge ..
    Have fun ..

joemmo
    Free Member

yes, Alwinton offers some good wild riding, its not always easy to see from a map which bridleways are good and which are bog fests but the ride over Clennell Street and up to Windy Gyle then along the ridge was always a favourite. You can dip over the border into Scotland too There’s also some routes over Simonside way but I’m not so familiar with. I suggested Wooler as a base if you’re after more than just riding as it’s more accessible to the coast.

Note: there’s the ‘Naughty Northumbrian’ enduro on the weekend of 30th September and it’s based at Clennell Hall so you may struggle for camping in that area if thats the weekend you’re coming.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Riding in Northumberland.’ is closed to new replies.