Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Riding in Morzine / Les Gets before lifts open?
  • georgeflippy
    Free Member

I am going out Morzine for 2 weeks for a friends wedding but will be leaving the day before the lifts open for the summer, June 14th I think. What are my best options for getting in some singletrack / downhill? I will have a driver for shuttling me up to the top of a run or two. I have a hardtail for trail riding and was wondering if I’d be better of hiring a DH bike? Any info would be helpful, just wanna get out and ride when I have some free time. Thanks, George

duffmiver
    Free Member

les gets lifts are open 7-9 June.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Double check the schedule, the lifts open weekends only quite early

You only need a DH bike if you want to ride DH trails, a normal FS is fine (and you can hire those too). You can ride a HT out there but the vibration will get you and the roots are proper man-size so suspension is good.

If you have a driver ride Les Gets and then finish with 1000m descent to Samoens and have them meet you there for a beer/ice cream and ferry you back to Morzine (20 odd mins in car). Email me for a map.

nickjb
    Free Member

You can get your driver to drop you at the top of the Super Morzine or in Avoriaz for some decent runs back to town. Its fun on a hard tail or a downhill bike, there are trails to suit both. Personally I’d go full sus as the hills are big and it get pretty tiring just holding on. Without the lifts you might need to do a little more pedalling, though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

George – if your driver takes you to Mont Caly above Morzine you can have a lunch together (great view) before returning via Col Ecrenaz to Les Essert/Morzine or with a bit more pedalling/climbing to Jean -d’Aulp then follow river back to Morzine. Again email me for a map. Either of these rides you can do on your HT. Franly if you aren’t going to ride much the simplicity of hiring a FS possibly beats the hassle / cost of talking your bike.

georgeflippy
    Free Member

Thanks for your answers, alot to think about, will be taking the hardtail anyway as taking the families bikes too. May well hire a full suss for a day of uplifts at the weekend. Was also wondering wheter it was worth hiring a guide for an afteroon but havent yet looked into this. Thanks all.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@george – a guide is euro 250 a day and for one person definitely not worth it IMO. I will email you a map for free 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Riding in Morzine / Les Gets before lifts open?’ is closed to new replies.