• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by gil_.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Riding in Japan, suggestions please
  • JakeDaSilva
    Free Member

Hi,
    I’m heading to Japan in the last two weeks of May this year. I’m planning on being in ‘The Japanese Alps’ for a few days with my 160mm trail bike and am looking for suggestions of where to ride.

In the ideal world this would be some kind of uplift. My google work so far has turned up the Dudes of Hazard vid which, other than Mt. Fuji, doesn’t include any info about where they are riding, and a small number of really disappointing ‘adventure by mountain bike tour’ sites.

So, who has been, is it wirth taking my bike, where have you ridden etc

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Try posting on Pinkbike.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Fujimi panorama may be your best bet for uplift/DH. Not sure I’d bother taking a bike over though. I MTBed the local trails where I lived, also did a couple of pleasant day rides up and down gravel roads etc but there are not many really rideable trails. The proper mountains are far too hardcore, walking only for me at least. You can also carry up fuji and ride down, probably illegal but no-one will stop you.

You can have a fabulous week in the japan alps walking though. Note that May will still have plenty of snow.

I’d also add that if you don’t have enough Japanese to work this out for yourself, then you might find it a challenge.

stewartc
    Free Member

There are good rental bikes available at Fujimi Panarama though for the life of me I cant remember the cost as its been a few years since I was there, I wouldn’t bother taking your bike.
    When I was there there were 3 trails all serviced by an efficient cable car system, 2 of the runs are fast DH and the 3rd a nice wide trail, all should be reasonably easy for you to ride.
    Webiste is here.
    This is the C line, a reasonable easy non-DH trail:
    [video]http://www.vimeo.com/watch?v=69213386[/video]

Local accommodation is reasonably cheap and there are some great local onsen’s nearby for easing your aching body back into life.

dantsw13

If you have a roadbike, Japan is amazing. Theres a vending machine for cold drinks every 100yds too, even in the hills.

jam-bo

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vesqaZxKgvo[/video]

JakeDaSilva
    Free Member

Hi, thanks all.

Good idea re: pink bike post. Will also hit RideIO.

I’m planning on spending about three days in the Japanese Alps. Heard a few good things about the ‘adrenaline sports’ spot in Gunma district, minukumi I think. Its on the route from Tokyo to the Alps area. Any one been?

In terms of bike hires, what are the options at Fuji panorama? Years ago the bike hire options in the european alps were terrible, (shonky Vario’s) but have recently improved massively (Trek Sessions).

Any idea?

bigjim

Message the dudes of hazzard on instagram. Was reading something, maybe even the current mag issue, about somewhere in Japan that was so good they didn’t want to stop riding to film it.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’m guessing you mean Minakami (though maybe not) and note that it was Fujimi (meaning “Fuji view”) not Fuji itself. Minakami is known for onsen and skiing, we went there one winter but just for walking. Think there will still be skiing in May but I’m not sure about that – never got into it though many say it’s really good.

IMO by far the best outdoor fun to be had in Japan at that time of year would be something like a trip to Kamikochi, walking up to some of the mountain huts for a 2-3 nighter. Crampons and ice axes required. Easier/shorter trips are also possible such as Yatsugatake (2 days/1 night). We never really had that much fun cycling, though we did a fair bit, mostly on road.

Don’t know about bike hire.

stewartc
    Free Member

Hi Jake

When I was last in Fujimi Panarama in 2013 the bike shop in the complex had a pretty good range of GT’s and Transitions to play with, all in good condition. Most of us took our own bikes but one of the group hired for the 3 days and was happy.

You can contact the shop direct here: http://www.backyardgaragehouse.com/
    Expect a slight delay in replies.

Take cash, they are not keen on credit cards.

Also, the restaurant on-site is good so you can spend all day there.

gil_

Went to SSWC last year that was based in Hakuba, basically a Ex-Olympic ski resort, would guess this might be on your radar

Far from a trail centre but to be honest your going to be hard pushed to find anything close in Japan, bikes are a means of transport rather than a weekend leisure pursuit…

Race climbed to the highest gondola station and then descended, excellent and under used DH course, just what your looking for too I would imagine

Hakuba is a great town, good feel and some nice little bars, probably the best riding we found while we were out there, very quiet though out of ski season

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Riding in Japan, suggestions please’ is closed to new replies.