Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Riding in Hayfield
  • edward2000
    Free Member

Is this route any good?

http://www.bicyclemania.co.uk/PDF/Hayfield%20Highs%20Route%2017miles-27km.pdf

Or can you give me a link to your suggestion?

Thanks!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Looks alright that – not that I’ve ridden that particular route! BUT – I would definitely recommend making an excursion across the moor – Middle Moor – above Hayfield – check out the OS map here. There’s some cracking rocky singletrack on the bridleway on the bit on your map where it says ‘surface’ descriptions’. I’m also pretty sure that the section of your route where it says ‘route direction’ is perhaps more fun ridden in the other direction. That said, I’ve never tried it that way!

That’s all a pretty good area TBH – dryish, rocky, technical and fast in places – so you probably can’t go too much wrong where ever you ride.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Hmm perhaps I’m reading it wrong but it looks like you go up the campsite descent and also up coldwell clough. That can’t be right surely?

BadlyWiredDog

It’s a sort of okay route, the slog up the back lane from Chinley is a bit savage, but nothing appalling, I’d be tempted to drop down a different way into Hayfield after running along the top of Chinley Churn, the Far Phoside descent is cracking. Or just head straight over, through the farm, and down, cross the road and up to go down Coldwell Clough and the campsite descent. But it’s okay. Though it makes you ride up Coldwell Clough, which is a slog… anyway. And I’d include Middle Moor too. And the slog from the Rowarth end of things u to the Pennine Bridleway is nasty too. Whoever put that route together likes unpleasant climbs on backroads and small lanes….

So yes, but…

BadlyWiredDog

Hmm perhaps I’m reading it wrong but it looks like you go up the campsite descent and also up coldwell clough. That can’t be right surely?

It’s all rideable with a bit of grrr… but going up Highgate Lane is less irksome and in keeping with the other backlane ascents on the route… 😉

I think there are better options tbh. It loses a bunch of height descending Beet Lane, which is no great shakes beyond the top section and then regains it all on tarmac.

crazy-legs

That route is the wrong way round. All the descents done on gravel tracks or road, all the climbing done on the bits you should be going down.

Did it come from MBR?

Edit: actually to be fair the bit round Lantern Pike (11 onwards) is fine and the right way.
    Going up Coldwell Clough (the first climb) isn’t *that* bad – just a fireroad/gravel climb – but it seems to miss out a lot of good bits.

GavinB

That’s just odd!

Agree with CL and BWD – its the wrong way around, but even then misses out better bits of bridleway.

edward2000
    Free Member

I googled mountain biking around hayfield and that was the first link i found. Might pull the old OS map out when i get home and do my own ride this evening.

GavinB

Why would you climb up Coldwell Clough, up to Mt Famine, then descend down Beet Lane?

Just wrong.

IMO

dan1980
    Free Member

That route is the wrong way round. All the descents done on gravel tracks or road, all the climbing done on the bits you should be going down.

The bit around Rowath is probably the right direction, the decent to the little mill is probably the best around these parts.

If I was dooing it the more sensible way, I’d cut off the stupid bit through Chinley and go down the bridleway past Hills farm to get to the PBW and ignore Mnt Famine

D0NK

That’s just odd!

agreed I know some riders like long straight gravel tracks to get up as much speed as possible but a bit boring in my book. Wonder who wrote the route.

Off the top of my head – up highgate road down coldwell up via kinder res middle moor then biof road to loop around lantern pike, up ollersett and down phoside. Dunno how long that would be and no doubt locals could offer something better.

The bit around Rowath is probably the right direction, the decent to the little mill is probably the best around these parts.

the bit between 11 and 12 on that link? not done much riding round there, normally head off towards mam tor from hayfield.

dave_h
    Free Member

As has been said, not the best riding in the area but takes in some different stuff that often gets missed and it’ll still be a load of fun. I think the direction is fine as again it brings in some new elements to well ridden tracks – the decent down to Chinley (5) is a gem.

Personally, I’d go left at Throttle Bank Farm (just before 7) and follow the bridleway/track down into Birch Vale. It’s a much better descent in my opinion.

BadlyWiredDog

the decent down to Chinley (5) is a gem.

Is it? Apart from the top section which is fast rubble, it’s mostly a road…

amodicumofgnar

The northern loop is fine as is. Southern one though I’d go the other way round – make the climb up onto Ollersett Moor. It is a slog but you get Coldwell Clough etc as a down. Beet lane isn’t so bad as an up. You also get the old testament motivational text carved above the windows at Beet farm.

Ollersett to New Allotments is the more interesting section of the track. Ditch the rest and head W at the bridleway (track) junction on New Allotments and drop down to join track from Birch Vale to Throstle Bank farm. Follow this to Throstle Bank.

If you want to go longer there is a bridleway (not shown on this map) that heads from above the N of the north arrow to link with the road from Chinley to Furness Vale (comes out under the S of the north arrow). Nice little descent. Drop into furness vale and take canal towards Whalley Bridge and then Buxworth. From there a rail trail keeps going along the valley bottom to about where the No 5 is printed on the map. Start of trail not obvious but just keep going through the Navigation (pub) car park and you’ll find it.

Another option – you get Roych Clough but loose new allotments. Climb up Ollersett. E (Left) to and through Hills Farm and onto Pennine Bridleway. Take this to and through Roych Clough. Climb out until you get the small wood on to the E (Left). Half way along the wall on the other side (W) of the wall is a gate. Descend a faint track through field to lane. This drops you on the road running parallel to the railway (shown on map). Take to Chapel Milton and then head N ot Beet Lane. From there back to Hayfield via Coldwell Clough.

dan1980
    Free Member

the bit between 11 and 12 on that link? not done much riding round there, normally head off towards mam tor from hayfield.

Yep, and there’s a decent pub at the bottom too. the run down into the ford isn’t bad either.

The Rowath descent with added snow and mincing (not me by the way..) – it’s the only sensible video on youtube of it, there’s one of someone who likes to show their leg a lot too 😕 :

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AnX4691vvM[/video]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Riding in Hayfield’ is closed to new replies.