Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Riding in Gisburn for the first time on Sunday…any tips to improve the day?
  • rockhopper70

?

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Ride all the stuff that is signposted as hard else it’s a bit dull. Pretty easy going track.

What are you wanting to know?

rockhopper70

best routes…best options….is it all easy to follow and string together?

Roulercoaster
    Free Member

Gisburns brilliant – got a bit of everything. Not dull at all in my opinion. I suppose if youre into DH then its not Scotland or Canada but if you like TC’s, its excellent.

paul4stones

How is it for kids? I’m thinking of going at half term.

Roulercoaster
    Free Member

Pretty easy – park at the back of the pub/cafe, head down the firetrail and turn left, downhill, watch out for the first left after about half a mile and then you cant really go wrong. Do not miss Hully Gully, its one of those short stretches that has a bit of magic.

Roulercoaster
    Free Member

How is it for kids?

Should be fine – there is a skills area for playing around on and you can avoid all the gnarly bits

squiff
    Free Member

Do the red route than the blue route, quite easy to follow, theres a new bit about 1/3 way round, go over a bridge than theres a little climb and the new bit is on your right, good for your skills, have a go it’s good fun and as the route goes around you come back round to the new so you can do it again 😀

I think on sundays there a guy who does bacon buttys and drinks and stuff.

check this out

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/englandnwegisburnbiketrail.pdf/$FILE/englandnwegisburnbiketrail.pdf

rockhopper70

bacon buttys…… :mrgreen:

carlosg
    Free Member

bacon buttys……

Park at the pub as above , good beer / reasonable food and a free(charity) bikewash.

http://www.dogandpartridgetosside.co.uk/

stuartddancer
    Free Member

Only rode it in the wet and it probbly aged my ride and my legs by a couple of years. Would be mega after a dry spell though.

tony_m
    Free Member

Hope you enjoy yourself, and don’t forget to stop and say hello – we’re going to be out digging on Sunday, putting a few finishing touches to the new section of singletrack we’ve built which cuts out a chunk of fire-road. Once we’ve done that, we’ll be bashing about in the woods scoping out our next section, which will eventually cut out another chunk of fire-road, and then we’ll be in t’pub… 8)

2hottie
    Free Member

It’s easy to get around, and has some good sections, riding it as fast as you can makes it much more interesting! the gully section is great but the volunteer built section is tight and twisty and better in my opinion. The ride starts at Cocklet hill car park see google maps or the FC website.

Video of the Dog and I enjoying Gisburn last summer, (doesn’t include the gully) a cut paw put an end to that.

paul4stones

Thanks.

Gary_C

2hottie: That video is ace!

mrh86

Sorry to put a damper on things but I’m guessing its going to be a bit of a mudfest at the moment! Maybe think of going somewhere else and visiting gisburn another time.

xiphon
    Free Member

Not at all, it’s got plenty of hard material on the paths, so it doesn’t get muddy.

neil853
    Free Member

It’s also had some re-surfacing work done so it isn’t as bad as it has been :mrgreen:

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Yeah, tracks are hard pack enough for it never to get that muddy.

mrh86

Perhaps they’ve done a lot of work over the past 12 months then, because when I went this time last year there were a lot of sections which were extremely wet/muddy (the big berms included)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

mrh86, they’ve had a contractor in to fix the worst sections that had really fallen apart, but still expect it to be wet/muddy, don’t go round in your best Disco outfit.

rockhopper70

anyone been today and can report on conditions?

speckledbob
    Free Member

I like Gisburn. Nothing too serious but a good blast.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

anyone been today and can report on conditions?

Rode it today. Few puddles but nothing mega boggy. The wooden boards are slippy though – mate dropped it on one section. Sunday looks crap weather though 😥

oxnop
    Free Member

Was up there today too.

Was ok, ground still saturated but worth the 40min drive.

Funny to see boys on big bikes bottle the slab 😀

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Riding in Gisburn for the first time on Sunday…any tips to improve the day?’ is closed to new replies.