Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Riding in Fruita, Colorado – Anyone done it?
  • peak1

Hi there, looking to do a trip in 2015. Whilst there is loads on the web I am wondering if anyone has been/has any recommendations?

Paul

metalheart
    Free Member

I was a bit disappointed in Fruita, saw Joes Ridge in a STW calendar and thought, wow, must do that! It was nice but at 5 minutes long not quite worth the 5-6000 mile round trip… 😉

The Kessel Run was ace though.

I did Fruita in an afternoon. My mate did a week with Western Spirit and had no real desire to return… There are better places (IMHO).

Have a look on MTBR in their regions forum?

DavidB
    Free Member

Yes, lots. What do you want to know?

Basically, you need to ride the 18 Road Trails area, loads of small loops that can be strung together, Joes Ridge and Chute-and-Ladders are must dos

Then the Kokopelli for some harder stuff, stitch together your onw ride, I always like to get the Lion’s loop in as it is quite techy in buts.

peak1

OK. 2 replies and 2 quite different opinions 😯 Was really trying to understand if there was a weeks worth of riding. I had heard great things about the area so was wondering if I could arrive and ride or need a car to hit other areas.

HindlePie
    Free Member

Fruita is great. I’ve been there twice and pretty much did the same both times (Part of a Moab/Gunnison road trip).

As above, the 18 road trails area (Edge loop I think is the biggie here) is great for just stitching bits together and generally getting your eye in. Stunning scenery. Kokopelli side for the harder stuff. One of my favourite bits of singletrack anywhere is the ‘Moore Fun’ section (ridden west to east). Get yourself a copy of this.

I think we spent 2 days in Fruita before driving to Moab, which is only half a days drive and has way more to offer. Having said this, I was there nearly 10 years ago. I’d ask at the bike shop there ‘Over The Edge’ for info too.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

You’ll be close to Moab if you go for a week, so could ride there too. Crested Butte is near too, so might be worth making a mini road trip of it?

dragon
    Free Member

I went there almost exactly 4 years ago. I don’t think there is enough for a week, 2 days should get you through most of it. I did some of the Kokopelli stuff and Lunch Loops. If I’m honest I liked the scenery and the trails are okay, but it didn’t really float my boat. I preferred the riding I did in the rockies such as at Vail and around the Front Range. Beware Fruita has no tree cover at all and can get mental hot, so avoid the hottest times of year.

Also if you are riding Fruita tehn a cool place to stay is the camp site on top of the Colorado National Monument.Campsite link

jonnyseven

Been a couple of times on the way over from Denver to Moab and done 18 road trails and Kessel trail etc. IMO it’s ok for a stop off but much prefer Moab, La Sal trails, Breckenridge. Much more to do in Moab as well and lots of microbrewery beer. Hire a SUV at the airport and do a road trip – Auto Europe were cheapest last time I went.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Riding in Fruita, Colorado – Anyone done it?’ is closed to new replies.