Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Riding in Bridport area
  • chambo82
    Free Member

Right then , looking at possibly moving down to the Bridport area in Dorset or surrounding villages , anyone know what the riding is like please ? I ride a geared Fat bike and singlespeed Niner
    Cheers

Suggsey
    Free Member

As I found out just before going for a short break to West Bay Bridport, mountain bikes are specifically banned from the 18 miles of Chesil beach….somewhat pissed on my parade to say the least. 😆

bodgy
    Free Member

I live near Bridport. It’s a mixed bag; there’s a fair amount of good riding, mostly very hilly, with some amazing bridleways and hollow-ways, the Dorset ridgeway to the East, Symondsbury Estate has an 8 mile mountain bike route, The bridleways around Beaminster can be linked up to make some good routes. And the views are always impressive. There are a lot of hereditary estates locally, which often have reasonable bridleways for the hunt. The downside is that there are a lot of localised variations as to how accessible the routes are – there are a lot of gates! There are a couple of MTB groups that meet for rides locally. They might be worth a punt to discover some trails.

To be honest, Suggsey, you’re not missing much on Chesil Beach – it’s a shingle/pebble beach all the way – an absolute nightmare to ride.

chambo82
    Free Member

Nice one Bodgy thanks for the info ! Will have a google and see what I can find. Might need to get an easier gear ratio for the singlespeed then !! lol

bodgy
    Free Member

No worries. I forgot to mention, there’s a couple of Sustrans routes that run locally, and some disused railway line type tracks, that can get you to wilder parts fairly smoothly! Good luck with it. Msg me if you want any more local advice. Cheers.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Damn, should have taken the standard MTB then! I only did a quick search the night before we left as to local riding and it pretty much just kept throwing up sustrans routes, now I know different next time I’m down that way!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Riding in Bridport area’ is closed to new replies.