Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Riding in / around Buxton
  • Clover

I’m about to open a shop in Buxton – commuting from Todmorden. I am not keen on the commute at all (I usually cycle to work off road and three + hours of driving a day is quite a lifestyle change).

I’m thinking of bringing my bike once a week to do some riding in the area so that I get some fun out of something I’m rather dreading.

Are there any weekday evening group / shop rides locally?

Hopefully I will recruit staff locally to reduce the amount of commuting, but I am not sure how long it will take before I hand over my precious baby to strangers.

crazy-legs

That’s a hell of a commute. 🙁
    The A6 from Stockport up to Whaley Bridge (or vice versa) can be a car park sometimes.

There’s some good riding over that way, it’s easy to get over into the Goyt Valley. Road riding from there is excellent, MTB is a bit more piecemeal and some of the Goyt stuff is footpath.

I think the Hayfield Hub lot still go out from Hayfield – search for Hayfield Hub on Facebook.

I’d say there’s more/better MTBing over Hayfield, New Mills, Rowarth, Marple way but that’s all close-ish to Buxton. Or if you want a bit of a ride, park up in Marple or New Mills and ride the rest of the way to Buxton, it’s mostly canal towpath then a bit of road. Perfect for a CX bike.

Bregante

Best of luck with the new business (and the commute) 🙂

What’s the shop?

Clover

Thanks! I am thinking about the part drive part ride option too – there seems to be a lot of route choice. I’ve noticed how close it is to Hayfield and will have a look.

It’s knitwear Bregante – all made in our Todmorden workshop. We’ve got a shop in Hebden Bridge (Makepiece if you do go there) and this is expansion (eek!).

crazy-legs

Train/ride might be another option?
    Tod – Victoria, ride across town, Piccadilly – Buxton (or a part way station like New Mills Newtown, Chapel-en-le-Frith or Doveholes).

Bunnyhop

Congratulations, I just saw the new shop on your facebook page, it looks great.

Crazy-legs is correct, that the riding is better around Hayfield.
    We have a regular evening ride from Marple on a Thursday night (going over to Bollington this week). You are welcome to join us.

Crazy-legs can give you my details.

Clover – as I’m self employed I often go out mtbing during the day and it would be good to meet up (nearer to Hayfield/New Mills) if you have the time during the week.

Clover

Thanks! Marple is on the way home…. I will see whether I can get there next week. I think I’ll be populating the shop with knits this Thursday evening.

I’ve been looking at trains too. It won’t be too bad. I hope. 😕

I will only be able to go out during the day once I’ve found a shop angel Bunnyhop 🙁 But maybe one will appear – the Hebden shop one floated in on a cloud and is fantastic.

jekkyl

As an alternative you could park in Macclesfield and cycle over to Buxton over the cat n fiddle road. Also plenty of off road options in Macc Forest for evening rides back to the car. If you turned left off road directly opposite the pub on the way back, you could easily visit the 3 shires head & descend Cumberland clough, an excellent peak district descent before riding back to Macc through the top part of the forest. Good luck in your venture!

ianfitz
    Free Member

I have some good friends who live in buxton and seem to know everyone there. What sort of staff are you looking for? I’m sure they may have some recommendations…

feel free to email me (in profile) if it suits and you prefer

MartynS

Theres a fair bit you can do, one route from the shop door!!
    Buxton, Taxel/Whaley Bridge Goyt valley back to Buxton. Couple of hours if your quick..!

Also a good route starting from Topley Pike quarry and going round Chelmortan, depends how much you want to hang around in Buxton after work!!

don’t envy you Tod to Buxton, but good luck with the shop

Bunnyhop

Clover – we often night ride on a Wednesday. If you would like to join the Marple rider’s group drop MartynS ^^ (his addy is in his profile) a line and he’ll sort you out.
    One of our lady riders, works in Buxton.

Clover

Just back from a mega-setting up day. Still not achieved everything. Thanks for all the advice.

Anyone sending shop staff greatly appreciated – the best ones talk to people about what they would like, tell the story well (after all, shearing our own sheep and knitting amazing things from wedding dresses to tiny booties is definitely worth talking up) and wear clothes well (but not intimidatingly). Also must not mind that I am employing them to escape that commute (and possibly go riding in the daytime with Bunnyhop 😉 ).

I’ll be in touch once it settles down to just regular long days rather than monster shop fitting ones – looks like there’ll be a nice bit of riding to keep me smiling. 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Riding in / around Buxton’ is closed to new replies.