Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Riding groups in Cardiff?
  • pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Moved from London to Cardiff a couple of months ago, and just realised that I’ve only been out on my mountain bike twice since being here. Partly due to weather, and partly due to not knowing where to ride or having anyone to ride with. Can’t do much about the first, but thought I ought to try and sort out the second. So, are there any groups/clubs/locals in Cardiff worth going out for a ride with?

rob8624
    Free Member

If you are on Facebook, sign up to the South Wales MTB group and stick a post up.

SaxonRider

There are many groups (and individuals on here) to go out with, and, as you will soon discover, possible more natural trails in close proximity to where you live than almost any other city in the UK.

In terms of groups, one I would look into is the Wednesday Night Ride. It’s made up mostly of people associated with the Bike Shed on Cathedral Road in Pontcanna, who meet regularly at the Lewis Arms in Tongwynlais. Stop in the Bike Shed to check details.

Where in Cardiff are you?

davidjey
    Free Member

Muddybums in Rhiwbina also run sporadic MTB evening rides…

If you’re anywhere near the taff trail hop on there and explore any trail you see leading off into the trees/ride up to Tongwynlais, up towards castell coch and explore from there.

Or as I’ve said before, throw a brick outside the Lewis Arms on a weekday night and you’ll probably hit a group riding past.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Have requested to join the Facebook group and will try and pop into Bike Shed at some point.

I am living in Canton.

SaxonRider

I am also in Canton, so you would be welcome to join me on a ride. I am just waiting to solve a wheel problem right now. But that will hopefully be done shortly.

taxi25
    Free Member

Most of the riding is to the North of Cardiff, and very wet it is at the moment 😯 You can still put some pretty good loops together even now so it’s worth getting out.
    The Wednesday night ride are a good bunch, if it’s the same as it was it’s a very social ride with the beer being as important as the riding on many occasions :D.
    I live in N.Cardiff and would be happy to show you a few trails as would others on here I’m sure.

SaxonRider

taxi25, is there a regular time you go out? Or are you on the road bike more nowadays?

taxi25
    Free Member

I’m out whenever I can fit it in SR. Only go out on the Mtb in daylight though, evening rides this time of the year are on the road.
    We’ll have to catch up for a ride soon it’s been way to long.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I figured it was probably pretty damp at the moment, which is why I’ve been sticking to the road bike mostly. Not sure I will be able to make the Wednesday nights, but I’ll try some of the other suggestions. Thanks for the help.

P-Jay
    Free Member

If you’re willing to travel a bit there’s always Aberdare MTB, BIG club and they’ve usually got 1, 2 or even 3 group rides most weekends in South Wales and mid-week too – but they are, how do you say it? Crazy.

Summer is better than Winter of course, but as others have said hang about in the Lewis Arms for long enough and someone will come past, there’s loads of riding in North Cardiff and heading in all directions (bar south really).

If you’re still looking come BST you’re more than welcome to catch up with my mates and I at Castle Coch of a evening – we ride bike, we don’t circle jerk around cars or in the forrest – but we’re in the minority, bear that in mind 😉

dragon
    Free Member

As for routes I always liked (a long time ago mind) the following:
    Taff Trail to Castell Coch, up to Caerphilly Common, down the back and turn right to Rudry, climb up Craig Rd and turn right at the farm onto the Ridegeway, then head down Wenallut Rd to the Wenallut forest itself and home.

I suspect a lot of it is on footpaths, but if you are nice to folk it should be fine.

taxi25
    Free Member

@ Dragon. Your routes just about all legal, bits that might not be are all commonly ridden, nobodies the slightest bit worried about it.

Kamakazie

As taxi25 said, that routes basically the staple Cardiff ring SO I’d hope it’s all ok. Never had any queries from people when out with the Cardiff Uni groups.

JackHammer

You’ve also got CwmCarn etc just down the road (easily accessible by bike too), if you’re looking for more weather proof trails in these dark times.

The natural stuff is a lot more fun when it’s drier though! Enjoy!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ll join in – just not this weekend!

Longer rides include Machen Mountain, Sirhowy Mountain and country park. From where you can get to Cwmcarn easily enough.

Re mud, it’s greasy, yes, but it’s not that bad considering there is a good rock base for most of it. Some parts of the country are barely rideable in the winter, but there are only a few trails I avoid in the winter.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I don’t have a car, so Aberdare and some of the other suggestions might be a bit out of reach. Can anyone point me towards a GPX for the Castell Coch/Caerphilly/Rudry loop?

Sounds like there are quite a few on here who might be interested in organising something in a few weeks time/when the weather’s better?

shadowfax

@draqon

Isn’t that basically the ‘Ron Davies Ring’ route? It’s a good un.

taxi25
    Free Member

You do go past old “Badger watchers” house, or did unless he’s moved. Ron’s a good bloke though, had a chat with him a few times.

dragon
    Free Member

No idea who Ron Davies so I don’t know. I first rode the route or variants of it in the early 90’s.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Riding groups in Cardiff?’ is closed to new replies.