Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Riding glasses.
  • rocky-mountain
    Free Member

I need a non misting pair of clear glasses.

Been a big fan of screwfix safety glasses, from boulle,3M, de Walt, but at present it all mists up.

I like my eyes, I kind of need them would like to ride without glasses, but need them especially as heavy wet foliage is drooping over the trails we ride. Also the cold makes them stream.

Should I go for Oakley end of the market ?

ashfanman
    Free Member

I find that every pair of sunglasses I’ve used for riding in mist up to a certain extent, but mainly only when I’m not moving. Do yours mist up regularly even when you’re riding?

thehustler
    Free Member

misting is your own breath/ persperation condensing on the lens, there are hydrophobic coatings and vented frames that can help clear the misting faster but unfortunately the perfect demistede lens just hasn’t been invented yet

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    althepal

Have a pair of DX Fakelys, mate who has a couple of pairs of Oakleys can’t tell the difference, also says the optics are almost or as good as his originals.
    Would love to be able to spend Oakley amounts but for the foreseeable Fakleys are fine.

jambalaya
    Free Member

My cheap plastic glasses mist up when climbing (due to excretion) so I take them off. I don’t have a problem going along/down. Personally I fall off too much and am forgetful on stops to wear expensive glasses when biking.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

they steam up at every opportunity, its a real pain.

there were some oakleys that had vents in them so there was an airflow going in and out. are thet still made.

dont mind the price,its a pain but would be well worth it. eye protection is everything. i have a friend who is going blind for different reasons, but one would do anything to avoid harming ones eyes

paddy0091
    Free Member

swamp_boy

mesh safety glasses

These won’t mist up, they’ll stop anything except fine dust, which will get up behind glass anyway. The pair I have are fairly new out, look much better than the ones illustrated, more like Oakleys.

Konastoner
    Free Member

Smith Pivlock is what I use, comes with 3 lenses and no fogging issues.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’d stick with your safety specs, cheap, effective and look good and you wont shed any tears if you loose them or sit on them. I find mine don’t mist up when i’m on the move, but do once I stop, but find taking them off or pull them to the end of my nose prevents this, or let them mist up and they will clear as soon as you get moving again. It also helps if you’re not wearing anything around the glasses that prevents air circulation – like wearing your helmit too far down your forehead, or any hat that comes right down to the glasses.

Kryton57

Spray on and wipe off Mr sheen for a 1-5 ride temp hydrophobic coating. Cheap and cheerful, i keep a can in the bike shed.

teef
    Free Member

Drop of washing up liquid on inside of lens – spread around and wipe off excess – repeat every few rides usually does the trick.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

fairy liquid trick is a well known cure for motorbike visors. I use cheap DeWalt glasses in this way.

mintimperial

I wear Oakleys with fancy-dan Rx lenses in for riding, on account of being a bit blind and fussy about contacts. Posh glasses mist up just as quickly as ten quid cheapies if you don’t do anything to prevent it.

I’ve recently been using the Muc Off anti-fog stuff, it works well and seems to be lasting well, pricey though for such a small amount of stuff. I’ve also used swimming goggle anti-fog stuff, that works well, a bit cheaper and a dinky bottle lasts a good six months or so. I have tried the skinflint remedies too (washing-up liquid, furniture polish etc), they didn’t work out so well for me.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Riding glasses.’ is closed to new replies.